Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
callmeberto
Visitor

Movie Details Screen / appDetailScreen.brs / Skip Category

*I am not a programmer, I edit the existing videoplayer example code to suit my needs*

I have a screenshot below of what my issue is. The Actors (defined as genre in xml code) is showing up twice on the Movie Details screen.

I have scoured the forums and I still can't find a solution. All the recommendations i have seen point to making sure that 1. screen.SetDescriptionStyle("movie") 2. item.ContentType = "movie" or "video" 3. remove the invalid "Talks" from the contentType in the xml code. I think i have tried this in all possible combinations.

I acknowledge that in the videoexample xml code the content of the <genre> tag shows up as Actors so my xml code looks like this.

You will also notice that contentType in the xml code is set to "Movie". I am not sure if this is overwritten by item.ContentType = "movie" in the showFeed.brs file.

I am basically done with this channel. Very basic, for my kids to watch their movies that i ripped to HDD.

Any assistance on how to remove the 2nd Actors (defined as genre in xml code) from the movie details screen will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Berto
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Mister_DNA
Visitor

Re: Movie Details Screen / appDetailScreen.brs

If you open up your showFeed.brs and remove the following lines of code:
item.Categories = CreateObject("roArray", 5, true)
item.Categories.Push(item.Genre)

You will no longer see the list of actors at the bottom of the screen, but will still have the list of actors between the poster image and synopsis.

I just tried it in developer mode on my channel and it worked.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell
0 Kudos
callmeberto
Visitor

That was Spot on Perfect! Mister DNA Thanks!!!

While I'm on a roll i thought I'll just Ask; Is there a way to jump straight to the categoryLeaf after starting my channel? Instead of the first stop at the categories screen. I only have one category and it would be convenient to skip the extra click ok and go straight to the Springboard screen after selecting my channel from the roku channel selection screen.

I can live with it as it is but thats the only thing else i was considering modifying.

Thanks
Berto
0 Kudos
Mister_DNA
Visitor

I'm glad I could help, really... it's a sign I'm getting better at this Roku stuff. 😄

I'm sorry I can't help you with your category/category leaf issue, other than to say that it would most likely involve editing the categoryFeed.brs file to somehow bypass looking for <category> and <categoryLeaf> tags and going straight for a single xml file. Of course, I may be wrong about that.

However, if you'd like to add a <Director> tag to your xml files that will show the Director at the lower right-hand corner of the screen, I can show you how to do that. You might find the thread about MPAA ratings of interest, too, if you haven't already checked it out.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell
0 Kudos