Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying the videoplayer example

Hello. I am new to Roku and I am trying to modify the sample videoplayer example provided to stream my own RSS feed. I need a little help getting started. I believe I found that the feed is coded in the showfeed.xml, but I am not sure what I need to change.

Any suggestions?? Advice??
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Modifying the videoplayer example

You should probably just pick one stream out of your feed and test video playback with the simplevideoplayer example.

Once satisfied with your encodings, try modifying the videoplayer example to parse your xml feed and create a channel that lets the user play any videos in the feed.

--Kevin
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin.

Yes, I have got it to stream one video buy directing it to the specific URL of the video. However, now trying to parse the XML, I get it to pull over some of the information from the rss feed, but the videos do not play and the images are blank? , however it does pull the description and title of the videos.

When I try and play one of the video's it says retrieving, and when i look a the debugger, I do not see an error. It just sits and hangs on retrieving.

Any ideas on why this may be happening?
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"rookiedeveloper" wrote:
Yes, I have got it to stream one video buy directing it to the specific URL of the video. However, now trying to parse the XML, I get it to pull over some of the information from the rss feed, but the videos do not play and the images are blank? , however it does pull the description and title of the videos.

When I try and play one of the video's it says retrieving, and when i look a the debugger, I do not see an error. It just sits and hangs on retrieving.

Any ideas on why this may be happening?

The videoplayer example isn't designed to work with RSS. There is some sample XML included with the channel that demonstrates the schema the channel uses. We do have an MRSS channel template that might suit your needs better. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can send that to you.
0 Kudos