Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coastalfog
Visitor

Looping Video Content ?

Can someone tell me if it's possible to create a private channel that will continuously loop video content.

We have an application whereas we need to loop a travel program into a hotels private tv system

If this is possible can someone point me in the right direction as to where i can find this information or share the process to make the video loopable once it hits the roku.

Thanks

Cris...
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Looping Video Content ?

No, the Roku player cannon seamlessly loop content. You can cause video to play on repeat, but it will start a new playback and rebuffer at the start each time. There are a number of other reasons why Roku isn't the right choice for commercial/industrial applications like yours. I'd suggest checking out BrightSign (www.brightsign.biz) for what you want to do. It's related to Roku, including using BrightScript for development, but the feature set and hardware design is tailored to commercial applications.

Patrick
0 Kudos
coastalfog
Visitor

Patrick,
Thanks for the response, I have looked at the brightsign products and we may get there at some point. Cost of entry for this application is to much for this particular project.

With that said we can certainly live with a small rebuffering time, the loop doesn't need to be seamless.

So with that in mind how do we trigger it to reload automatically?

Thanks again for your help.
Cris...
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Just have an infinite loop that calls the video player function again as soon as it exits.

while true
msg=wait(1000,port) '1000ms delay to give your server a rest
playvideo(videotoplay)
end while
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"coastalfog" wrote:
Patrick,
Thanks for the response, I have looked at the brightsign products and we may get there at some point. Cost of entry for this application is to much for this particular project.

With that said we can certainly live with a small rebuffering time, the loop doesn't need to be seamless.

So with that in mind how do we trigger it to reload automatically?

Thanks again for your help.
Cris...

I should point out that the box cannot automatically launch a specific channel and anyone that gets a remote can remove the channel.
0 Kudos