Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkipFire
Visitor

Loading bif from ext1

I am trying to play a video from a flash drive which works fine, and my srt works fine, but I can't get the BIF to load. The BIF and the SRT are in the same directory and have the same file name except for the extension and they are loaded into the object properties the same way. All the same files load from my web server with no problem so I know the files are valid. Are there any known issues with loading a BIF from ext1? When I do try to browse around I get the bif boxes, just no images in them. The SRT does load the text correctly.

I appreciate any thoughts in making this work.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
destruk
Streaming Star

Re: Loading bif from ext1

Make sure your filenames don't have spaces in them when loading from ext1, or modify the source code for the channel you are using so it's not automatically encoding them to be %20 or double-encoding them to be %2520 or they won't be found. It was hit and miss when I tried it - loading videos, mp3s, thumbnails, etc from USB.
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

Some have spaces, but some don't and those are not working either. I also ran into the spaces issue when trying to pull them from my web server and did setup the XML to encode the spaces to %20s What is confounding me is that the bif and srt are named the same, just different extensions, and the srt works but the bif doesn't. Here are the URLs for one movie being loaded locally, the srt and video works, but the bif does not. I have verified that the files exist, I have print statements that show the values are loading into the file, plus I see the bif boxes without images and those go away if I remove the bif URL. The bif is valid as the same file delivered from my web server instead of USB works fine. I have also checked case sensitivity.

file://ext1:/Movies/829c5a50-403f-417b- ... 60c71d.bif
file://ext1:/Movies/829c5a50-403f-417b- ... 60c71d.jpg
file://ext1:/Movies/829c5a50-403f-417b- ... 60c71d.mp4
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Have you tried omitting the file:// prefix?
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

No change with removing the file://.
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

Just wanted to bump this as still being a problem after 4.8.

I have tried both of the bif files below, both match the case just in case there was any case sensitivity issues. Both are in the same folder as the .mp4 file and have the same name, just different extensions. The bifs work fine when pulled from a web server.
file://ext1:/Movies/829c5a50-403f-417b- ... 60c71d.bif
ext1:/Movies/829c5a50-403f-417b-a733-05397560c71d.bif

If anyone has any additional thoughts I welcome them.
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

I have also tried a shorter name on the bif and mp4 (though the mp4s load fine even when they have spaces in the names).

file://ext1:/Movies/Clerks.bif
ext1:/Movies/Clerks.bif
0 Kudos