Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live stream on roku

I'am developing a roku channel with videoplayer example. VoD mp4 videos are working perfectly but I need to add a live stream.
I am trying to use VLC on the server to stream a playlist.
Please I need some help with an example of how can I add a live stream on my channel. Is VLC the right media server to stream a playlist to roku?
Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: Live streaming app development

The main thing is "WHY???!!" is there so much www.spam.net showing up and posting about stuff that has no business being in this thread or on the Roku website. Brand new users just out to spam their websites. Such as the two posts above mine... WTF!!??.. I see this often where people are using this forum to farm comments to raise their search rankings of their websites they post in these threads. Why is this allowed??! It chases off actual developers when they see this kind of B*ll***t. They would see that stuff and go, Yeah this place is a garbage dump. You RokuPeople need to clean their garbage out of all these threads in the developer section. It just clogs up the threads with garbage and nonsense. Please do something about it. Thanks.

"Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on in the hood." - Ice Cube as Doughboy

Anytime someone revives a years (near decade) old thread (aka becomes a necro thread) is when it is a vampire (ie spammer with a website with low rankings). There is a rogue C3P0. Please help Obi-wan. You are our only hope.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@speechles, I couldn't agree more.  I couldn't tell you how many posts I've reported as spam or inappropriate for this section of the "community" only to have no action taken by the moderators.  I reported that thread about the TV shutting off after a few minutes multiple times and it's still here.  But now, I have the power to remove spam!  Those two posts that were above yours are gone.  The spambots are getting more and more sophisticated.  They often post something that looks legitimate (even if there's little to no information in it) only to come back weeks later to add their spam links.  Some of them are copied verbatim from reddit.  If I miss something, let me know.  I hate spam, but I especially hate the garbage that shows up here.  I'll make a recommendation to lock the old threads, but even as a so-called "expert" it's hard to get any kind of a response.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

@renojim, They are using ChatGPT to think they are smarter than us. But it is the same vampire links in necro threads. It is hard to detect because they seem so intelligent in what they are posting about, but what they are posting really makes no sense because of the thread it is in. Why would someone revive a 9 year old thread to post some smart sounding text along with a url that has zero relevance to the thread title. Because they aren't a person and it is to trick the index bots and we aren't meant to read it. But because it is posted as text in the forum we are expected to read it. So they try to make this less obvious by making a smart sounding reply that has all this smart information. But in the end it is very easy to spot them since they always create new usernames to abuse us with. Thanks for doing something. If I spot these intruders again I will point them out. All it takes for them to win is everyone to look the other way. Instead we need to point them out and make them realize it is pointless to keep doing it here. The faster you react to their nonsense the quicker they get that message. Thanks again.

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17118/have-your-forums-been-hit-with-chatgpt-spam

It isn't just here. It is everywhere.

0 Kudos