Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mramim
Streaming Star

Live HLS m3u8 stream from encoder server Stutter/Jumps around

I'm trying to run a stream in a roku channel from the following URL:

After around 20 seconds of playback it stutters/jumps around. It works on a web browser. I've tested the stream using Roku Stream Tester(http://devtools.web.roku.com/stream_tester/html/) and the issue is present there as well. So I know for some reason Roku devices isn't liking my stream. The stream is generated using a PVI h264 IPTV encoder server. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Can someone guide me towards a fix for this?
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Live HLS m3u8 stream from encoder server Stutter/Jumps around

I sometimes use cURL or wget to retrieve HLS playlists and segments and your server is doing something weird.  If I try to use wget I get

--2020-09-18 12:45:29--  (try: 3)  http://96.73.1.110:8080/0_51461.ts
Connecting to 96.73.1.110:8080... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content
Retrying.

over and over again until the final 404 when the segment is, I assume, automatically deleted.  If I use cURL to retrieve the m3u8 playlist it's fine, but if I use it to retrieve a segment it never completes.

It may be a red herring, but I've never seen anything like that.

More useless information - using some code that uses the old SDK it plays fine on my Roku 3 with firmware v9.2 other than some weird glitching at the start of the stream.  Using a different/newer device with newer firmware acts as you've described.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos