Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vsrivastav
Level 7

List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

The following is the list of known issues in the Roku software version 2.8 that I am aware of.


    1. The SSDP discovery functionality is not working over wifi in Roku player software version 2.8. It works when the device is connected over Ethernet.
    2. The /keypress/Left and /keypress/Right does not work in Roku player version 2.8 when not on home screen, i.e., when inside of Netflix, it does not work.
    3. When on the Roku home screen the fast forward button advances several channels to the right, however the rewind button does nothing.


Will they be addressed in the next version of the software release?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TheEndless
Level 9

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

Firmware version 2.9 has been out for a few weeks now. How are you still on 2.8 (unless you're referring specifically to the SDK documentation, which hasn't been released for 2.9, but is implemented in the current firmware)?

  1. I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be fixed in 2.9, but I've never used the SSDP discovery, so I'm not sure.

  2. This is limited to the grid screen (like Netflix). keypress/Left and keypress/Right should work on all other UI screens. This is still the case in 2.9. The workaround is to send a keydown followed by a keyup

  3. Not sure what you mean here. FF and REW work as expected on my boxes, both via IR and ECP, in Netflix and on the home screen.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Level 8

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

"TheEndless" wrote:
Firmware version 2.9 has been out for a few weeks now. How are you still on 2.8 (unless you're referring specifically to the SDK documentation, which hasn't been released for 2.9, but is implemented in the current firmware)?

  1. I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be fixed in 2.9, but I've never used the SSDP discovery, so I'm not sure.

  2. This is limited to the grid screen (like Netflix). keypress/Left and keypress/Right should work on all other UI screens. This is still the case in 2.9. The workaround is to send a keydown followed by a keyup

  3. Not sure what you mean here. FF and REW work as expected on my boxes, both via IR and ECP, in Netflix and on the home screen.

+1 to all three list items. Additionally, I believe I tested FF and REW on the Home screen in Remoku under 2.8 without any issues..although perhaps there is/was a difference between a keypress and keyup/keydown sequence here as well. Remoku uses up/down commands for most of the functions.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
TomCorwine
Level 7

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

"vsrivastav" wrote:

1. The SSDP discovery functionality is not working over wifi in Roku player software version 2.8. It works when the device is connected over Ethernet.


SSDP has always worked fine for me over Wi-Fi on 2.7, 2.8 and now on 2.9.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Level 9

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

SSDP over wireless should be working.

KeyPress on roGridScreen is still an issue.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
vsrivastav
Level 7

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

Kevin,

I don't know why, at least with my Roku, I am only able to discover it when it is connected via Ethernet. When it is connected over WiFi, my SSDP search fails all conditions being equal.

Also when I send keypress/Rew on the home screen nothing happens, but when I send keypress/Fwd it scrolls several channels to right.

I have Roku XDS with FW 2.9. I am wondering if there is some problem with my Roku player.

Thanks
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 9

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

"vsrivastav" wrote:
Also when I send keypress/Rew on the home screen nothing happens

The correct command to send for rewind is REV, not REW.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Level 8

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

"vsrivastav" wrote:
I don't know why, at least with my Roku, I am only able to discover it when it is connected via Ethernet. When it is connected over WiFi, my SSDP search fails all conditions being equal.
What is your router model? I had a Verizon Fios-provided Actiontec router that simply refused to pass certain traffic (udp packets) between the ethernet and wifi interfaces, and despite weeks of research and config tweaking, I was never able to get it to work. It blocked bonjour traffic between iTunes on different pcs, prevented Tivos from discovering one another and their desktop clients, and also blocked SSDP discovery of Rokus. Ended up replacing it with an off-the-shelf netgear and haven't had a problem since.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
vsrivastav
Level 7

Re: List of issues in version 2.8 of Roku player

Thanks TheEndless, that was the mistake. Thanks for pointing out.
gonzotek: Netgear WGT624 v3. I will replace my router and check.
0 Kudos