Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MTM2021
Channel Surfer

List of Working Templates?

In light of the Hero Grid template no longer working (as confirmed by Roku Support), I thought I'd ask the community if they know of any working template examples beyond those on GitHub that are a good basis for novice developers can base a channel on?

6 REPLIES 6
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: List of Working Templates?

If you're truly a novice, consider using Direct Publisher as a fast way to get your channel up and running.  Then, you can take time learning BrightScript and the coding that is necessary if you want to add more features to your channel.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
MTM2021
Channel Surfer

Thanks @Baradanikto 

Done that but want to get to something like Hero Grid, which alas is a defunct template now, and I don't have the depth of programming knowledge to fix it.

Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I have two channels.  One uses the Hero layout.  I was able to specify it in the developer portal for Direct Publisher.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
MTM2021
Channel Surfer

Good spot!

Have tried that but whilst it shows the content populating in the preview (using a Vimeo feed) no content loads when Sideloaded onto the device. Have reached out to Roku but they don't seem to know why this is happening.

Which route did you go for your feed?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

My channel uses the Direct Publisher framework.  Therefore, all I needed to do was to create a json feed file and specify some parameters (ie. channel layout=Hero) in the developer portal.

There's nothing to sideload if you use Direct Publisher.

0 Kudos
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@MTM2021 Have you looked at the master sample channel? It's specially designed for novice developers. It walks developers through each step in building a channel, including the channel UI.

The linked github repo contains all the sample channels that accompany the lessons in the SceneGraph: Build a Channel online video course

0 Kudos