Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ionatan
Roku Guru

Linking a Channel to an Online Account

I have some questions about http://blog.roku.com/developer/2011/07/ ... e-account/ .

Isn't easier instead of storing a unique token in device registry to store device id (using GetDeviceUniqueId function) in website database and then every time when a request is sent from channel to server to include also device id as parameter?!

Isn't deleted unique token stored on registry if user reset his device?

Is it possible to display this register page on roku in a category level?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Linking a Channel to an Online Account

The SDK specifically warns against using the device ID (serial number) as a registration token. If you do this and the user later sells or gives away his device, the new owner will inherit the account of the old user.

Factory reset will remove all contents of all registries. The user would have to relink his device after a factory reset.

--Mark
0 Kudos
MrAkai
Visitor

I am curious about this as well.

I am working on a service with a free trial type system where we want to eliminate the possibility of getting multiple free trials.

Would it be acceptable to log the unique serial # in a separate database but then use the method described in the developer guide for actually authenticating/authorizing the viewer (so a factory reset would disassociate the account from the device, but the device would not be able to generate a second free trial?)

Thanks!
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

If the end user sold the roku to a new person, why would you not want to give the new owner a free trial?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I am curious about this as well.

I am working on a service with a free trial type system where we want to eliminate the possibility of getting multiple free trials.

Would it be acceptable to log the unique serial # in a separate database but then use the method described in the developer guide for actually authenticating/authorizing the viewer (so a factory reset would disassociate the account from the device, but the device would not be able to generate a second free trial?)

Thanks!

I think that would be acceptable.

- Joel
0 Kudos
360tv
Streaming Star

Are you going to have the user type in the entire device ID somewhere on your website?
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

"360tv" wrote:
Are you going to have the user type in the entire device ID somewhere on your website?

The device ID is available using roDeviceInfo. It's passed to the website by the player along with the on-screen code and any other pre-registration request info.
www.InstantTvChannel.com / www.InstantSubtitles.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! Easily and inexpensively generate subtitles!
0 Kudos