Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whizkid77
Visitor

Re: Is "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" supported?

I've verified that chunked does not work.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

We'll take a look at this if anyone has a public Url we can look at that demonstrates the problem.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
We'll take a look at this if anyone has a public Url we can look at that demonstrates the problem.

--Kevin

I'm seeing this in Gabby. You could download Gabby, share some audio file that requires conversion (FLAC, etc.), and use WireShark to monitor HTTP traffic between the Roku and Gabby. I did source level debugging to see this behavior, but you should still be able to see it while monitoring. If you need any more info, I'll try my best to help.

Thanks,
RT
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

i can also say chunked does not work.

I ran into that with my HLS streaming, the only way to fix it is to set the content- length

I cant put much input into the 416 requests etc your talking about, but what i was getting was an error because i was using a dynamic playlist thus sending incorrect content length. it was actually sending the content length with out the whole playlist

is that what your having an issue with basically? not knowing the content-length?
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
i can also say chunked does not work.

I ran into that with my HLS streaming, the only way to fix it is to set the content- length

I cant put much input into the 416 requests etc your talking about, but what i was getting was an error because i was using a dynamic playlist thus sending incorrect content length. it was actually sending the content length with out the whole playlist

is that what your having an issue with basically? not knowing the content-length?

Yeah, I responded to your HLS question. I thought that the chunked transfers might be your issue. We only use chunked encoding when we don't know the content-length. As part of HTTP/1.1, it should just work. You typically don't send content-length over as a header because this transfer method is largely used when you don't know the length of content stream -- it defeats the purpose. With chunked transfer encoding, the client should keep reading until it encounters a zero-length chunk. In Gabby, we use this method to transfer live transcoding streams for audio files. This works in practice because the Roku appears to begin playing the file as it it's being streamed. Our issue was not that Roku could not interpret this format (which is a good thing), but instead the "end of stream" behavior seemed a little off.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

yes what I have found if the content length is not the same it ends early for example:

if the content length is 936 for example and you set it at 809, so it will cut back characters in the playlist to 809, thus ending the video playing short.

i was able to fix this with a dirty little fix but its in PHP and i dont think your using php are you?

see the issue i was having was my playlist was dynamic thus when just sitting in the directory was smaller than when it was actually called. so i had 2 different content- lengths in the header info.

If you don't set the header it will be chunked, i also added :
header("Connection: close");

so it closed the connection instead of keeping it alive
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
yes what I have found if the content length is not the same it ends early for example:

if the content length is 936 for example and you set it at 809, so it will cut back characters in the playlist to 809, thus ending the video playing short.

i was able to fix this with a dirty little fix but its in PHP and i dont think your using php are you?

see the issue i was having was my playlist was dynamic thus when just sitting in the directory was smaller than when it was actually called. so i had 2 different content- lengths in the header info.

If you don't set the header it will be chunked, i also added :
header("Connection: close");

so it closed the connection instead of keeping it alive

Yeah, I see what you mean. This is not related to HLS. This is when the Roku is actually downloading a media file. I'm not sending content-length at all; you don't need it with this transfer method. It downloads the whole "mp3" and then sends another request for a piece of it.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

ok, cause what was happening to me was about the same thing...

would cut the playlist short because of the content- length and make another request and start playing for a few seconds and shut off
0 Kudos