Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change Roku's TCP/IP parameter TTL (time to live) from the default (64)?

Hi,

I am in the need to change the default TTL value of my roku.  In my current environment I need to change every device to a TTL different than the default (64) and I am able to change this for all my devices (laptops, cellphones and tablets) except for my Rokus.  Is this possible?

I am asking because I've found a function in the Roku SDK documentation, in the interfaces there is an ifSocketOption object and it has SetTTL(ttl as Integer) but I am not sure if this can be used for what I am looking for or this can only be used for the creation of channels.  I am a developer but not a Roku developer so I really don't know how this works.

I have a one Roku 2 and two Roku Premiere 4K, just in case this is important.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Is it possible to change Roku's TCP/IP parameter TTL (time to live) from the default (64)?

Great written question and great done own research, congrats!
To the best of my knowledge the answer is "no" and i doubt very much RokuCo will show any understanding to such request, they ship them with reasonable defaults and don't let meddling with the stack (e.g. can't bring own DNS resolver or even manual IP).

Your suspicion that getTTL/setTTL() in ifSocketOption won't help in the general case is correct - it applies only to the specific TCP or UDP socket (opened with roStreamSocket or roDataGramSocket respectively)

PS. my cisco kung-fu is years dusty but a router should be able to override the packet TTLs
0 Kudos

Re: Is it possible to change Roku's TCP/IP parameter TTL (time to live) from the default (64)?

"EnTerr" wrote:
Great written question and great done own research, congrats!
To the best of my knowledge the answer is "no" and i doubt very much RokuCo will show any understanding to such request, they ship them with reasonable defaults and don't let meddling with the stack (e.g. can't bring own DNS resolver or even manual IP).

Your suspicion that getTTL/setTTL() in ifSocketOption won't help in the general case is correct - it applies only to the specific TCP or UDP socket (opened with roStreamSocket or roDataGramSocket respectively)

PS. my cisco kung-fu is years dusty but a router should be able to override the packet TTLs

I think I am supposed to do that then.  Thank you very much for your time and your response.  I was looking around the forum and this community is great!, almost all the questions and topics has responses, and mine was no exception, thanks again.
0 Kudos