Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wise26
Visitor

Insufficient Storage message on a private channel

I am having the same problem as this person - http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=45609&p=309639&hilit=not+enough+storage#p309639
I am compressing, uploading and packaging, telnet/genkey everything. I am simply using the example "simplevideoplayer".

I am doing this for testing purposes so I am not making any changes to this file - simply compressing it and going through all of the channel creation steps.

When I add the packaged file to a private channel and add the channel to my Roku, it shows up in the Roku Channel Store under "my channels", but when I select it and click "go to channel" it gives me this message - "there is not enough storage to add this channel. Please remove one or more of your installed channels & try again".

Keep in mind that I have a 32GB memory stick in the Roku and I have deleted all other channels. So this isn't a memory problem - it is a file problem I believe.

When I add the unzipped version of "simplevideoplayer" that the SDK provides, this shows up perfectly fine as a channel on my Roku.

I tried moving all of the files in the "source" folder to the root, so that it is on the same level as manifest (which was one of the suggestions under this topic - http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=45609&p=309639&hilit=not+enough+storage#p309639) but this did not work.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Insufficient Storage message on a private channel

The source files should not be in the root of the zip. The "source" folder should be in the root. Your zipped package should look roughly like this:
MyChannel.zip
images (folder)
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
etc...
source (folder)
main.brs
otherSourceFile.brs
etc...
manifest (file)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
wise26
Visitor

TheEndless - I have tried both ways - the source folder in the root and not in the root. Neither way works. I tried moving the source files to the root because someone suggested it in an earlier thread. Thank you for the reply
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Try this: right click on the folder that you want to zip., lets say it is in the folder roku_sdk_v30/examples/source/simplevideoplayer Right mouse-click on the simplevideoplayer folder, If on a mac, select "compress" or "archive" if on a pc, select Send To: Compressed (zipped) folder. Then try uploading that folder to your roku, and packaging it.

If this issue still happens, then you need to make sure that when you zip the file up your are excluding hidden and system files, like thumbs.db for example, or any mac system files, files which may not be visible to you, but are there. (there are ways to show hidden/system files on windows and mac machines).

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If all else fails, you can use the makefile on a linux system.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I remember getting this exact same error the first time I tried to package my channel as a private channel and install it even though I didn't have many other channels installed. After deleting some channels I don't use much I was able to get it installed.

I just tried this again just now with the SimpleVideoPlayer channel. I know it was zipped okay because I was able to side-load it and run the channel. But when I packaged it, created a private channel and added that private channel to my lineup I got the insufficient storage error again. Again, I tried deleting another channel and after doing that was able to get the newly-created private channel installed.

I'm not sure why this happened. I don't think it's because the channel was improperly compressed because, a) it ran okay when side-loaded in developer mode and, b) it ran okay in the end after deleting another channel. And I don't think it's really an "insufficient storage" problem because, a) the first time I had this problem I didn't have many channels installed and, b) in my latest test I only deleted one channel before getting the new channel to load, but after that added 10 more channels from the channel store without running into a storage problem.
0 Kudos
wise26
Visitor

Thank you everyone for your advice. I took RokuJoel's suggestion and un-hid all of my hidden files. There was a .DS_Store file in both the root and the source folders, however whenever I tried to delete this file it would pop back up again automatically. So that solution did not work. I am unsure about installing Linux on my system - I have never used it before nor have I ever installed it so I am concerned that this will create a whole new host of problems and in the end my Roku issue will be unsolved.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hi Anna, no need to install Linux, your mac already runs Unix, which is very similar.

If you build from the command line using Terminal, (which can usually be found in the Utilities folder under Applications) you can modify the Makefile for your channel to exclude whatever you don’t want:

ZIP_EXCLUDE= -x *.DS_Store

You will need to add ROKU_DEV_TARGET=(ip address of your Roku goes here) to your ~/.bash_profile document which is most easily done by running Terminal and typing:

pico ~/.bash_profile

which will launch the pico editor where you can add the line, and pressing ctrl-o to save it

*you will need to reload your .bash_profile document, which you can do by typeing:

source ~/.bash_profile

Then you can just cd into your channel’s folder and simultaneously zip it and send it directly to your device:

new-mac-mini:source admin2$ cd videoplayer/
new-mac-mini:videoplayer admin2$ make install

This is how I do it, and while it may seem somewhat cryptic at first, it is a huge time saver in developing for Roku, every time I update, I just go to the terminal and type

make install

- Joel
0 Kudos