Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richddean
Streaming Star

Re: IP Camera app/channel

This would be great. Anyone have any luck with this?

I have a Linksys WVC54GCA web cam I would love to be able to add as a Roku Channel. Someone mentioned maybe being able to do this with a camera that does HLS, I think my webcam does this. Though I am not sure.

I will follow this thread in case anyone makes a break through with this.
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

if i can find a camera that does hls and does not cost an arm and a leg, i will write the code for it.

I am trying to understand the rapidly refreshing jpg image concept and how i can program that in bs. once i get some good idea, i will try writing some code.

any code examples or suggestions that can help me write the code will be great.
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Pseudo-code follows:

time = get_current_time_in_ms()
refresh = 100 ' in ms, 10 times a second
targetTime = time
while true
' Pre-compute target time so image download and display doesn't cause unnecessary lag
targetTime = get_current_time_in_ms() + refresh
image = get_image_from_url()
show_image_on_screen(image)
sleepTime = targetTime - get_current_time_in_ms()
' Only sleep if we don't think another image is ready yet
if sleepTime>0 then sleep(sleepTime)
end while

Your choice as to whether you use roImageCanvas or roScreen.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
richddean
Streaming Star

"richddean" wrote:

I have a Linksys WVC54GCA web cam I would love to be able to add as a Roku Channel. Someone mentioned maybe being able to do this with a camera that does HLS, I think my webcam does this. Though I am not sure.

Darn, I was wrong my Linksys web cam does not do HLS. It appears to do MJPG motion video and JPG snapshots. It also appears to do some sort of RTS for mobile streaming but not HLS.

How hard would it be to have a channel that pulled the JPG every few seconds from the snapshot URL. As much as I would like the streaming, being able to see a quick snap shot just to make sure no one has kicked in my front door would be nice. 🙂
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

"richddean" wrote:
How hard would it be to have a channel that pulled the JPG every few seconds from the snapshot URL. As much as I would like the streaming, being able to see a quick snap shot just to make sure no one has kicked in my front door would be nice. 🙂

Not hard at all.

You could have a pile of cameras and refresh the images as fast as your cameras can deliver them (which, in my experience, is not very fast!) With the new 3.0 features, you could probably do it without flicker too.

What I stalled on was coming up with an algorithm for automatically subdividing the screen into smaller and smaller squares as more cameras are added to the system. Seemed really simple, but never quite figured it out...

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
richddean
Streaming Star

"jbrave" wrote:

Not hard at all.

You could have a pile of cameras and refresh the images as fast as your cameras can deliver them (which, in my experience, is not very fast!) With the new 3.0 features, you could probably do it without flicker too.

What I stalled on was coming up with an algorithm for automatically subdividing the screen into smaller and smaller squares as more cameras are added to the system. Seemed really simple, but never quite figured it out...

- Joel

Hmmm... Well I might play around with the ROKU channel SDK because I would happy with just one live JPG for one camera everytime I select my "Web Cam" channel. I would not be really monitoring that close to need video. I just want to be able to hit that channel and see if it is snowing outside or raining, or again that someone has not kicked in my front door or if one of the big trees near my property has been blown down onto the house. 🙂

Thanks,
Rich
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

And your web browser wouldn't be able to do that? Sounds like a neat little project especially if your front door gets kicked in 3 or 4 times per week. 🙂
0 Kudos
richddean
Streaming Star

"destruk" wrote:
And your web browser wouldn't be able to do that? Sounds like a neat little project especially if your front door gets kicked in 3 or 4 times per week. 🙂

😄 😄 😄
Yeah, my place is in a rough section of town. Those bears and raccoons can be aggressive.

But yeah it is a silly project, but I was looking for something to try out with the Roku SDK.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Maybe not that silly. It's been asked for a number of times before this. I wouldn't have any use for it, but apparently some do.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
DudeRanch
Visitor

I would love to have a IP Camera app/channel as well. I just bought my Roku 3 days ago and thought wouldn't it be great to connect my foscam ip camera that we use as a baby monitor on to the Roku. After not finding one I started digging and found this thread. I think that a lot of people would enjoy this app. I would pay for this app and I am sure others would as well if it can be done. We currently stream the live feed to our Droid phones.
0 Kudos