Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casolorz
Roku Guru

How to keep the screen on when displaying photos?

I have a phone app that is sending a photo slideshow to the Roku however the screensaver kicks in after a bit of time. How can I make it so the screensaver timer resets each time I update the photo?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to keep the screen on when displaying photos?

So the app is running on your phone or you have a Roku app/channel that's displaying the slideshow or both?  Is this just for your own use?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

I'm the developer of the app. The app sends the pictures to the roku channel. The roku channel shows whatever pictures the phone app sends. 

This is a released app and channel, not just for my personal use. 

0 Kudos
renojim

I'm still a little confused.  It doesn't help that there's a channel called "The Roku Channel", but I assume that's not what you're sending the pictures to.  There's a function to update the last remote key press timer, but it now appears to be undocumented, so use it at your own risk.  It will also throw an error (not just a warning, like it should) in the Static Analysis report, so be prepared to explain why you're using it in the notes when you submit your update.  Yours is the perfect case of why this function is necessary.

appmgr = CreateObject("roAppManager")
appmgr.UpdateLastKeyPressTime()  ' <- call with every photo change or periodically

casolorz
Roku Guru

That was our solution in the past but after our latest update we got an error on the package analysis because of that call. 

Right now we are solving it by sending a key press with each new photo but that makes a sound, which isn't ideal. 

0 Kudos
renojim

I have recently updated channels while still using that function, so I'd give it a try.  Just explain in the notes why you're using it.

0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Turns out the error was just on the analysis but they did accept the channel, I assumed they wouldn't. Not sure if it is a warning that it won't work in the future or what. Wish there was clear guidance on that. 

0 Kudos
renojim

I agree!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI, I sent an email to Roku tech support regarding the same issue (and more) with their own Roku Media Player version 5.0. Their response was to publish the 4.0 version as the upgrade to 5.0. IOW, they pulled it.

If RMP v5.0 reappears without the problem of the screensavers interrupting slideshows (they don't interrupt video streams), maybe you could check yours again without the workaround. FWIW.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Roku-Media-Player-5-0-broken/td-...

0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Thanks for updating me on that, I'll keep an eye on it. 

0 Kudos