Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selina_lai
Visitor

How to implment an UPnP client and web browser?

Hi all,

I'd like to implement a channel as an upnp client that can search for servers for different device types and then connect to the server's configuration page (web page)
and may do some configuration.
I googled and found Roku SDK can't achieve this. :cry:
Is there a way to implement an UPnP client and web browser? Does NDK can ? :roll:
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: How to implment an UPnP client and web browser?

What makes you think the SDK can't achieve this?

- Joel
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
What makes you think the SDK can't achieve this?

- Joel
The upnp stuff is more-or-less doable at this point (Greubel's been doing good work with Chaneru), but the public sdk isn't really up to implementing a from-scratch browser, which was the second part of the OP's question. It might be within the realm of possibility to parse specific device config pages, if they were reasonably simple. You could then build a Roku UI representing the same settings as the config page, make changes to the device settings and finally send those changes back as POST or GET requests to the device in question. But that would be a fair amount of custom work for every device you'd want to support, and if the idea is to support a wide range of products, it's probably not a workable solution.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Yes, for servers that don't have anything like a REST style API you would have to do some really unpleasant work to support them.

- Joel
0 Kudos
selina_lai
Visitor

Yes, because Roku said in developer guide that developers can easily and quickly to build a channel w/o too much coding, so I think it would be easy. :cry:
And the SDK documentation is not that helpful for coding. :x

Eventually, I have a server that has UPnP server built-in with unusual urn (not like media server term) and I'd like to find this server and gather info from its device description published via UPnP. And then I can access its configuration page via web browsing and do some configuration. The server's configuration pages has a lot and I don't want to waste time parsing the content item by item. So I'd like to have NDK to put c-code library to have UPnP client and web browsing support. Where/How can I get the NDK? The developer program document said that developers can request for NDK but how? :?:
If there's no way to request for NDK and SDK did can achieve UPnP client and web browsing, is there any sample code and documentation for instruction?
Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"selina.lai" wrote:
Yes, because Roku said in developer guide that developers can easily and quickly to build a channel w/o too much coding, so I think it would be easy. :cry:
And the SDK documentation is not that helpful for coding. :x

Eventually, I have a server that has UPnP server built-in with unusual urn (not like media server term) and I'd like to find this server and gather info from its device description published via UPnP. And then I can access its configuration page via web browsing and do some configuration. The server's configuration pages has a lot and I don't want to waste time parsing the content item by item. So I'd like to have NDK to put c-code library to have UPnP client and web browsing support. Where/How can I get the NDK? The developer program document said that developers can request for NDK but how? :?:
If there's no way to request for NDK and SDK did can achieve UPnP client and web browsing, is there any sample code and documentation for instruction?
Thanks in advance

It's at the very bottom of the FAQ for Roku Developers on this page:
http://www.roku.com/developer
The NDK is not yet public so please contact us at partners@roku.com if you are interested.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
selina_lai
Visitor

Hi,

I sent email and got the reply:
The NDK isn't publicly available at this time.

What can I do next?
0 Kudos
bandit59
Visitor

ACode where do I put the code I have. Smiley LOL
0 Kudos