Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfaraldo
Visitor

How many roku player can i link to one account

Jump to solution
Hi
If i have for example 1.000 roku player can i link all of this with one user account in the https://owner.roku.com/Link or i need individual accounts ?

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How many roku player can i link to one account

Jump to solution

The maximum number of devices that may be linked to the same single Roku customer account is 20.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Visitor

Jump to solution
I'm not sure what the max number of units connected to a single account is (as far as we've tested), but we certainly haven't tested with that many. We're really focused on typical home scenarios; if you're looking for centralized management of a large network of boxes, the Roku player may not be the best bet.
0 Kudos
gfaraldo
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks Patrick

We have a private Roku channel working , we also have our own CACS and MIDLEWARE to control the use of this private channel.

How the other private or public channel (HULU, AMAZON, NETFLIX, IMMOO) usually do the link and registration ? they use individual accounts for each Roku Player

Thanks
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
"Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time."

If you have more than 6 netflix-ready devices, you either deactivate one and activate the one you want whenever the one you need to use changes, or you put them on a separate paid account.

I'm not sure how Hulu+ does it.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
"destruk" wrote:
"Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time."

If you have more than 6 netflix-ready devices, you either deactivate one and activate the one you want whenever the one you need to use changes, or you put them on a separate paid account.

I'm not sure how Hulu+ does it.

Actually, Netflix bumped that up to 50 a few weeks ago. Haven't updated the verbiage, yet, apparently.
As for deactivating one.. that's no longer possible. It's an all or nothing deactivation. No clue why they changed that, but that came along with the web site redesign...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
"TheEndless" wrote:
Actually, Netflix bumped that up to 50 a few weeks ago. Haven't updated the verbiage, yet, apparently.
As for deactivating one.. that's no longer possible. It's an all or nothing deactivation. No clue why they changed that, but that came along with the web site redesign...

Deactivating one would have to be possible - if only to do a factory reset on the roku and allow the back end to reactivate it on an account you want to use. ?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
"destruk" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

Deactivating one would have to be possible - if only to do a factory reset on the roku and allow the back end to reactivate it on an account you want to use. ?

You would think, wouldn't you? You used to be able to, but now they just have a single "Deactivate Devices" button (https://account.netflix.com/Player?mana ... id=1503552), that presents you with this text when you click it:
Disconnect Devices

This disconnects all Netflix-ready devices from your Netflix account.

You can use this if you no longer have access to a device.

If you select this option, you will have to log in again on any other devices to re-connect them to your Netflix account.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how they thought that was a good change...
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
destruk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Without the option to deactivate a single device from the account, doesn't that go against roku's linking guidelines? I mean if it persists on the account after a factory reset of the device?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
"destruk" wrote:
Without the option to deactivate a single device from the account, doesn't that go against roku's linking guidelines? I mean if it persists on the account after a factory reset of the device?

No, because you can still unlink from the Roku itself, and a factory reset won't maintain the link. The requirement from Roku is that a factory reset will unlink the device. Since authentication with Netflix requires the client to provide a token, the link is automatically broken when the Roku no longer has that token... even if Netflix still thinks it's linked, there's no way to reestablish that link.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
All right. So what would be required if I sell my roku? Would I need to deactivate it from the netflix site and then re-link all my other roku's to netflix again? Just with the new model coming out I don't think I would need the original aged one now.
0 Kudos