Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe_haase
Visitor

How long to code channel???

Allright guys, I know some of you have a bunch of channels under your belt, and am looking to get a idea as to how long it would take a programmer to throw this together... most of the code is avalible in the examples, it just all needs to be tweaked to work and play nice..... All categories should be loaded from a XML file from our server, along with the images that are specified in the XML code...

Home Screen +
Home Category+
News Page 1
News Page 2
News Page 3
Cat2+
SubCat1+
Image from XML1
Image from XML 10
SubCat2+
live audio stream from Wowza
live audio stream from Wowza
SubCat3+
link to live stream from Wowza
link to live stream from Wowza
Cat3+
SubCat1+
Youtube Videos from XML
SubCat2+
Youtube Videos from XML
SubCat3+
Youtube Videos from XML

It's basically a modified VideoPlayer example, with screens that can allow a XML loaded picture to go full screen, and play some videos from Youtube (or whatever provider Roku supports). I would imagine that the XML would tell what type of page to load (Video, Audio, News (poster screen with next and previous buttons to cycle through the news section).

So anyone have a ballpark time / cost that this would be?? All the XML will be done serverside on our end, and all the images will be made and loaded by our Graphic Artist
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kbenson
Visitor

Re: How long to code channel???

For someone who has already released a channel doing something similar, I would guess less than a day.

For someone with programming experience but new to Roku development, anywhere from a couple days to a week.

If you want specific quotes, check out the sticky thread at the top of this forum listing Developers for hire. Be prepared to provide a bit more info on request though. It's often the small details that end up taking the most time...
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
joe_haase
Visitor

thanks kbenson...

What we are looking for is a channel almost idential to the videoplayer example, but with mixed content for the children of the categories. . I.E. we have a "event category with a mixture of pictures, videos, or audio. When you select the child, it goes to the appropriate screen for the media type from the XML file. Video player is close, but it assumes everything is mp4, and I don't see where it can be broken into a if item.content = "mp4" or if item.content = "jpg" type area.

If anyone has any clue where this is done, please let me know!!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Joe,

I suggest you take a look at the usbplayer example app. It switches screens based on content type and might be a good example of the features you would add to the videoplayer app.

--Kevin
0 Kudos