Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colibri
Visitor

How do I trap controller motion?

Hi. First post here.

Is there a way to trap movement on the motion controller that comes with the Roku 2?

I mean, I know about roUniversalControlEvent, but I'd like to move a pointer on the screen without having pressed any buttons on it.

In other words, I'd like to move something like mouse pointer on the screen when there is motion coming from the controller.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: How do I trap controller motion?

"Colibri" wrote:
Hi. First post here.

Is there a way to trap movement on the motion controller that comes with the Roku 2?

I mean, I know about roUniversalControlEvent, but I'd like to move a pointer on the screen without having pressed any buttons on it.

In other words, I'd like to move something like mouse pointer on the screen when there is motion coming from the controller.

Thanks.

Roku hasn't released an SDK for the 4.x firmware that's on the Roku 2 units for general consumption so I think that if you are programming with that SDK your best bet is to contact a Roku engineer. If you are using the 3.0 SDK, that's for the Roku 1s which don't support the game controller
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

However, if you are an iPhone or Android developer, there is no reason why you couldn't build the same functionality into your app using roInputEvent, but that would require an external device that doesn't ship with a Roku.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
Colibri
Visitor

Thanks for your replies. I took your advice and sent the question to Roku.

I am trying to build my first game on Roku 2. There must be a way to trap the controller motion. If you've noticed, Angry Birds on Roku does this instead of relying on button presses only, so I figure there's a way to do it. I could use that kind of thing to aim a weapon, drag objects around the screen etc...
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Other than the way I mentioned, using third party accelerometers in iPhone and android, there is no way to do it yet.

Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

"Colibri" wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I took your advice and sent the question to Roku.

I am trying to build my first game on Roku 2. There must be a way to trap the controller motion. If you've noticed, Angry Birds on Roku does this instead of relying on button presses only, so I figure there's a way to do it. I could use that kind of thing to aim a weapon, drag objects around the screen etc...

again, remember Angry Birds is using the SDK of the 4.x firmware, not what's currently openly available.
0 Kudos
Colibri
Visitor

Seems like the goodies are in 4.x. 🙂

Meanwhile, I'll work around my issue with using button presses, and continue to familiarize with the Roku 2. I need the practice. When I first purchased Roku 2, I noticed I could play games on it. I got excited and purchased another one so I could explore the SDK.

Joel, thanks for the tip. I got out of programming full time four years ago and before that I was doing only VB, ASP and SQL things at the office. So haven't touched any Android stuff yet. I'm interested though. I think maybe that will look steep at first for me. But I'm confident I can learn this. I need a bit of computer fun these days.

Couldn't help but notice the Boing Ball examples in the SDK. Anyone here still have an Amiga?
0 Kudos