Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhanson
Visitor

Home video streaming audio problems

I've been playing around with the simple video player example, trying to make my own streaming app. The only thing I'm having trouble with is sound. I made an M4V file of a DVD using HandBrake, with the Apple TV presets. The video plays fine, good quality and no rebuffering issues, but the sound doesn't work at all. It's completely silent. I tried re-ripping it, with the audio locked to 256 AAC, stereo, and it works. I'm thinking it has something to do with the default presets ripping as having either 5.1 or Dolby audio (can't remember which).

Am I going to have to force the audio encoding on everything I rip to get it to play, or is there something I'm missing in the docs about changing audio settings on streams?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: Home video streaming audio problems

In the SDK, the Doc RokuDvp_ComponentReference.pdf on page 37 has the supported video formats.
0 Kudos
jhanson
Visitor

Yup, and my video is in that format. The audio is 160kb AAC (which is between the 128 and 256 listed or whatever the range was).
0 Kudos
jhanson
Visitor

Ah ha. I think I figured it out. The video format is correct, and the audio format is correct, but the video files have multiple audio streams. So, while the first audio stream in the video is 160kb AAC, which should work, there's a secondary audio stream that is in a different format. Apparently, the Roku doesn't like having that extra audio stream in there. So, if I strip out the secondary audio stream using ffmpeg, the files work. That's much better than re-ripping everything.
0 Kudos
jhanson
Visitor

No, that's incorrect. As I mentioned in my post, the only problem was that I had multiple audio streams in my file. Cutting it down to just one fixed it.
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

Looks like we need a 'report' button 😞
0 Kudos