Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Home Screen Icons

Where do they come from?  How long do they take to update?  Any way to force update?

Do they come from the in-package manifest or do they come from the "Channel Poster" on the "Channel Store Info" screen?  Does the same answer apply to both private channels and public channels?

I updated a private channel with updated in-package home screen icons, and also updated the "Channel Poster" on the "Channel Store Info" screen.  My Roku got the private channel update however I still see the previous home screen icon.

Any details about how to update and control the update of the home screen icons would be very much appreciated.

tyvmia
aspiring
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Home Screen Icons

Update: My Roku got the new home screen icon, it used the Channel Store Icon, not the packaged icons.  Just want to verify that Public channels work the same as Private in this regard.

I wonder why do we need to include 3 different sized home screen icons with the package file if they're not even used for end users?
aspiring
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

From my understanding, the channel icon used is the one you upload to the dev portal, and it only updates when your channel is published/approved. That means your private channel or private vanity code for public channels will update as soon as you publish. Public channel icons will update once your channel has been approved after submitting it. The icons in the manifest are used for sideloading, but maybe they are also used for published (private or public) channels when you are offline, unless Roku caches all the installed channel icons.

note: this is only evidence from my own experience
EnTerr
Roku Guru

My understanding is literally the same as what @ljunkie said.

In addition, from what i remember if you restart the player without a network connection, it will use the bundle icons - till connection established.