Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matty2012
Visitor

Hello and Newbie here

Hello All,

I am trying to find out if the following can be achieved using Roku SDK

Goal: Create a channel and display photos/videos from a 3rd party website (which provides access using OAuth, API etc)

Now It is not my website, say, for ex, Facebook.

So is it possible to develop a channel using SDK, such thats, users can enter username/password in channel settings and let channel talk to facebook directly (negotiating Auth, token etc) get the list of photos, feeds etc?

This is just an example. I am trying to understand, for anyone to develop the channel do they need to have a website (providing content) of their own or SDK provides sufficient API to directly work with other provides to get content?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Hello and Newbie here

"matty2012" wrote:
So is it possible to develop a channel using SDK, such thats, users can enter username/password in channel settings and let channel talk to facebook directly (negotiating Auth, token etc) get the list of photos, feeds etc?

Yes it is. Several existing channels do that or something similar.
0 Kudos
matty2012
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
"matty2012" wrote:

Yes it is. Several existing channels do that or something similar.

OK..I will go through the documentation and see if there are any samples that illustrate this functionality.

Thank you
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

There's a twitter oauth example in the SDK
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos