Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathansafa
Visitor

HLS - bypass roPosterScreen

Hello everyone,

I am trying to bypass the roPosterScreen so that from the main menu, Roku plays my m3u8 file directly without going to the second Categoryleaf page, or the description page... Just start playing it immediately.
How would I go about doing this? I am using the Videoplayer sample app.

I am also willing to just skip the Category screen.. So from the Poster Screen (homepage, main menu) go directly to the Details Screen.
So far I have Stories | Broadcaster Videos | Livestream.

On stories, and broadcaster videos, I want these to go to a poster screen like normal, but with the livestream I'd like it to just start playing the hls livestream.xml feed, or go to a Detail Screen from which I can choose to click play.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: HLS - bypass roPosterScreen

The simplest way to do this is to just use the simplevideoplayer example instead, plop your .m3u8 url into that, add srt="" to the next line and that is pretty much it. If you are broadcasting HD video, then you will need to modify the example with something like the following:

urls = ["http://myserver.com/myplaylist.m3u8"]
di = CreateObject("roDeviceInfo")
if di.GetDisplayType() = "HDTV" then
qualities=["HD"]
else
qualities=["SD"]
end if
streamformat = "hls"
0 Kudos
Jonathansafa
Visitor

Joel,

Thanks for the reply. The problem with using the simplevideoplayer example, is that I do have more than just this livestream - we also have on-demand videos available, which means we will have to use a structure similar to the normal videoplayer example.
Assuming your code does work, how would I go about inserting your line of code into the videoplayer example?

Best,
Jonathan Safa
0 Kudos
Jonathansafa
Visitor

Hello everyone,

I still have yet to receive a response to this post... And as we are about ready to release our Roku app, I would love a solution to this problem!

Best,
Jonathan Safa
0 Kudos