Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HLS and Multiple Bitrate

Hi,

I haven't found an answer to this question, does Roku's HLS support multiple bitrates for a stream and dynamically switch between them depending on the client's available bandwidth?

The bitrates available would be listed on the SMIL file used to play the stream.

Thanks,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: HLS and Multiple Bitrate

Yes, Roku supports multiple HLS streams and dynamically switches between them based on the network bandwidth. The variant streams are listed in the top level m3u8 file as described in the HLS spec. Roku does not support SMIL files.

--Mark
0 Kudos

Great, thanks. I read on another thread that ROKU no longer supports streams lower than 256Kbps.

Is this true? My stream is published at different bitrates, with only one below the 256 Kbps (for mobile use), will this be a problem, or will Roku just ignore that last bitrate?

Thanks,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

By default the Roku ignores streams lower than 256Kbps. You can change this with the content meta data parameter "minBandwidth" in kbps.

Example

videoClip.minBandwidth = 10

--Kevin
0 Kudos

I have modified the Custom Video Player to play my HLS stream, but it looks to have about a minute delay compared to the source. Using an iPad the delay is only about 30 seconds.

Is it normal for the Roku to have such a long delay?

Cheers,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos