Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshua
Visitor

HLS & DVR Issue

I have several HLS streams all running nicely and playable on the Roku Box. The HLS streams are live from encoders with a 60 minute archive period for DVR purposes. This DVR functionally works flawlessly on computers and mobile devices, however, the Roku does not. Unfortunately, it is starting at the oldest segment, meaning one hour from live. You can not fast forward and the Roku shows it is at the beginning of the stream when you hit pause button. The time bar shows 60 minutes of content you can rewind too. When you rewind, it starts showing the minutes countdown, but when you hit play (and as expected) it goes back to the beginning of the oldest segment as there is no content to rewind to anyhow.

I have attempted to use playstart command, but it has not helped. I am using the VideoPlayer template from the 2.8 SDK and placed the playstart command in the app.VideoScreen.brs file, assuming that is the right place. I am using EE4 and IIS Media Services.

When you first start the stream, the pause, RR, and FF buttons do not work for a few seconds (I assume it is reading all the segment data). It just seems to think it is playing the newest segment when it is not.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
joshua
Visitor

Re: HLS & DVR Issue

Additional details...I replicated the issue using a much smaller DVR time (5 minutes) for testing. The DVR capability works fine during the first 5 minutes of the encoding session, however, starting with the 6 minute, you can only go RR 4 minutes on the Roku and on and on until you reach 10 minutes of enconding. After that, the roku will only play from the last segment. You can not FF to live and thus, you can not RR utlizing the DRV capability of the stream.

I am guessing it has something to do with the way the segments are labeled in IIS Smooth Streaming Server. But considering the DVR functionaility and HLS playback works for iDevices, one would figure the Roku HLS capability would match the same cability.

Does the Roku even support DVR with HLS or will it only play live?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.