Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeswin
Visitor

Re: HLS Troubleshooting

Hi,

I found out the solution, this might help if any one face the same problem.
The streaming url is protected one, so we have to enable cookie in screen

screen.EnableCookies()

It is working fine now
0 Kudos
Masonnixon
Visitor

I have an issue that came up in the Roku Premiere+. I had m3u8 HLS adaptive streams working for my channel just fine on the Roku 3. However some of these same streams only reach the loading screen, show about 10% and then hang indefinitely on the Premiere+. The streams that still work appear to be identical to the ones that do not in the m3u8 files at the top level. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Roku 3 Specs:
Model: 4200X - Roku 3
Firmware v. 7.5.0 build 4099-04

Roku Premiere+ Specs:
Model: Roku 4630X - Roku Premiere+
Firmware v. 7.2.2 build 7146-29
0 Kudos
tintumonkb
Visitor

Hello, I can't play ssl hls link in my roku.. it is working in vlc and all other players 
please someone help me sort the issue

i can play the same url without ssl (http) 

i have added the certificate file but it doesn't help
  port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
  screen = CreateObject("roVideoScreen")
  screen.SetMessagePort(port)
  screen.SetPositionNotificationPeriod(1)
  screen.SetCertificatesFile("common:/certs/ca-bundle.crt")
  screen.SetCertificatesDepth(0)
  screen.InitClientCertificates()
  screen.SetContent(content)
  while true
  screen.Show()
0 Kudos
tutash
Binge Watcher

I'm having an issue with HLS. There are times when our clients are forced to stop the stream (this would be during playback of an ad which contains video) to play another video. 

The issue is that, for some of our clients, the m3u8 file has a TTL (time to live) of five minutes, and the stream URL cannot be re-requested, as it is no longer there. 

The .ts files that made up the m3u8 file are still there, but the playlist (m3u8) isn't. 

The solution I'm trying is to store the m3u8 file in "tmp:" filesystem, then retrieve it to use to restart the stream where it left of (or just after the ad).  

Unfortunately, this doesn't work, as the paths to .ts files are relative to the request URL for the file itself.

I would parse the m3u8 file to add the appropriate base-url to each .ts file, but that doesn't seem to work either (see above).

Do you know of a way to define the base URL for a m3u8 file, either in the file, or by a command to the player itself? 

This is causing major headaches for our clients, as they have to deal with TTL on these files (for security reasons) while still allowing for dynamic advertising that contains video. 

Since the Roku cannot have two "connected" video objects at any given time, when the stopped video is re-started, another request for the m3u8 file is made, and the process breaks due to TTL.

This is a huge restriction for our clients who wish to use ads with video content while serving their content video with HLS.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

-tutash
0 Kudos
tutash
Binge Watcher

"tutash" wrote:
I'm having an issue with HLS. There are times when our clients are forced to stop the stream (this would be during playback of an ad which contains video) to play another video. 

-tutash

It looks like I will be able to store it locally, and restart the "stream" after all.

this approach is possible.
0 Kudos
parag
Visitor

I am using hls streams and on both a Roku Premiere/+ and am getting a lot of stops/buffering. Does the 8x10 second segments recommendation in the first post still apply?
0 Kudos
coldrain
Binge Watcher

Hi everyone,

I've developed a channel and recently I received a feedback from an user that he cannot play hls stream (he uses Roku Premier+). When the video loads 33%, it just returns. The user is nice enough to help me to troubleshoot by testing the video link with VLC and VLC can play it without any problem.
While I'm using with Roku4, Roku Express+ and Roku Stick, all of them are working fine so probably there's some problem with Roku Premier+? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
coldrain
Binge Watcher

Alright, a folk find out that some stream type will not work if streamformat is not setup properly in Roku Premier+ while it's still playing in some other devices. Look at this link https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=105889
0 Kudos
JenniferT
Visitor

hi, In a Multi-bitrate scenario, does setting the stream bitrate to a fixed number to speed up buffering prevent the roku from adjusting if the bandwidth changes, or does continue to auto adjust?

-Jennifer

Jennifer Truong from Hayward. https://www.sfcable.com/
0 Kudos
jdias
Visitor

Hello everyone!!

I am attempting to play an hls video for a VOD type of a service.  However, the video is not playing smoothly at all!  It keeps skipping.  Does anyone know what I can do to get the video to play correctly?
0 Kudos