Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streamingguy
Visitor

HLS Streaming with AC3 Audio

Hello,

As ROKU supports Dolby (AC3) pass-through, we are planning to provide streaming with AC3 audio for our VOD content. Is there any economic encoder software/hardware, which supports AC3 pass-through output?

I have looked at Digital Rapids encoders and few other encoders, but they are very expensive for a start-up company like us.

Thank you
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
scyber
Visitor

Re: HLS Streaming with AC3 Audio

Just a note, While I have been able to get ac3 audio to work in HLS streams for the Roku2 models (firmware 4.x), I have been unable to get it working with the Roku1 (firmware 3.x) models. It was supposed to work in 3.0 per this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39549

But no one from Roku has confirmed that AC3 works in HLS since 3.0 was released. It is possible (likely?) that the issue is on my end, but the lack of response from RokuKevin is not promising. I even PM'd him about it, but I've heard nothing.
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Re: HLS Streaming with AC3 Audio

Thank you so much for your time and for alerting me on this. I will also try to contact Roku on this.

By the way, do you suggest any encoder for including AC3 in the stream? Do you have any sample clips for reference. I tried with handbreak + ffmpeg to get my HLS stream. But, the quality is not that much good. I am looking for some for easy solution for generating HLS stream with AC3.

Thank you once again!
0 Kudos