Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streamingguy
Visitor

HLS Stream loading with short fragment duration

Hello,

We are using 2 seconds segments in our HLS streams (VOD) and I see that the loading time is very huge (40 to 50 seconds). This is the case even with scrubbing.

But, the same streams (encoded with the same settings) with 10 seconds fragments are loading fast ( less than 5 seconds).

For some particular reason, we have to segment our streams into 2 seconds. Is there a way to increase the load time of the LIVE streams/VOD streams?

Thank you for your time!
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
claudioc
Visitor

Re: HLS Stream loading with short fragment duration

why do you HAVE to segment the streams @ 2 seconds, I dont quite understand that. i cannot picture a situation where this is required. could you elaborate on why this is ?
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Thanks for looking into this post.

We have several 3Hrs videos and want to add advertisements at several places in each video. If we go with 10 secs fragments, we can not insert the ad at particular points. If we go with 2 secs segments, then we can insert ad at any point (by updating .m3u8 file) in the video. So, this is basically to insert ad in the videos at particular point.

Please let me know if you have any better way to insert advertisements.

Thank you for your time!
0 Kudos
cbojar
Visitor

I am seeing a similar issue. The fragments are 3 seconds long, and it takes a long time for the stream to start. It also seems to take forever to rebuffer, but this may be an unrelated issue.
0 Kudos
claudioc
Visitor

let me recommend.. if you have the source video, you could easily edit the ads into your video and then segment accordingly its pretty simple now to do non-linear editing on most formats, you could look into VideoRedo Plus TVSuite v4 for example among a laundry list of other options. generally speaking trying to get things fixed at the level your trying to fix them isnt going to happen, however you can prep your material correctly in the forefront and avoid this problem when it comes time to split your media.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Not sure why you can't insert the ad at particular points with 10second segments, but can with two second, unless you are trying to be super-precise with your insertion point.

- Joel
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Thank you for all your inputs.

As I mentioned earlier, we have 3 Hrs movie and we have to insert the Ad just before particular scene OR after particular scene. So, if we use 10 secs segment, we can insert Ad at 10 secs, 20 secs, 30 secs, 40 secs. and so on (only at multiples of 10). There is no way to insert the Ad at 25th second. If we place the ad at 20th second or 30th second, it will be very early before the scene OR very late after the scene. That is why, we tried with 2 secs segments.

I am just waiting for Smooth Streaming support on ROKU... Hope it will support Composite Manifest feature.
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

"streamingguy" wrote:
Thank you for all your inputs.

As I mentioned earlier, we have 3 Hrs movie and we have to insert the Ad just before particular scene OR after particular scene. So, if we use 10 secs segment, we can insert Ad at 10 secs, 20 secs, 30 secs, 40 secs. and so on (only at multiples of 10). There is no way to insert the Ad at 25th second. If we place the ad at 20th second or 30th second, it will be very early before the scene OR very late after the scene. That is why, we tried with 2 secs segments.

I am just waiting for Smooth Streaming support on ROKU... Hope it will support Composite Manifest feature.

Any thoughts on the above implementation/suggestions? If I use 2 sec segments, the loading of the video is very slow.
0 Kudos