Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckehayias
Visitor

HLS Live Streaming on 3.0 Beta

Since I upgraded one of my players to 3.0 Beta, our live stream is showing some very wierd behavior. It will startup quickly and play for about 20-40 seconds and then I get the black screen showing loading, please wait, but no buffer bar. In looking at the debugger output, I see index = time in seconds...then 20-40 seconds later, I get the same message only larger and then to buffering screen.

Debugger shows:

Unexpected event type: 15 after I press the up key to exit the loading screen.

This same signal has worked for the last 6 months and continues to work on non-3.0 firmware boxes.

Any thoughts? I am going to make sure I have the latest EC2 Wowza build, and try again.

Stream is 1.5mbit h264 + 192k AAC audio. FMLE 3.2 + MainConcept AAC and is streamed through Wowza via Amazon EC2 cloud.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
ckehayias
Visitor

Re: HLS Live Streaming on 3.0 Beta

UPDATE: i was using the Wowza 2.2.4 AMI-5a649833 on EC2, which caused the loading screen to come up and lockup on 3.0 Beta Firmware.

By dropping back to the Wowza 2.2.2 AMI-56e7113f, the ROKU can survive the loading screen. Something new to report under this Wowza build. Periodically i am seeing the loading screen popup for less than a second. It seems to be aligned with the debugger firing the 30 second:

showHomeScreen | msg = | index = 320 ( or whatever 30 second interval it is checking in at)

Still playing. My app is a re-work of the videoplayer sdk example. currently it is built from the 2.8 SDK. I will attempt to redo the app in the 3.0 sdk now.
0 Kudos
shantyman
Visitor

I just have to confirm problem with 3.0 beta player and HLS LIve Streaming,
we are using WOWZA 2.2.3.11 ami-2c27d545 out player works no problem under 2.9 build 1553
but every time we test our new project with 3.0 platform stream will just stop after 90 to like 180 sec.
Roku Channel: Eulive
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

"shantyman" wrote:
I just have to confirm problem with 3.0 beta player and HLS LIve Streaming,
we are using WOWZA 2.2.3.11 ami-2c27d545 out player works no problem under 2.9 build 1553
but every time we test our new project with 3.0 platform stream will just stop after 90 to like 180 sec.

I'm pointing out to some m3u8 streams on one of my channels and I'm not having a problem under 3.0. So this may be specific to WOWZA encoding and not HLS itself.
0 Kudos
shantyman
Visitor

"ckehayias" wrote:
Since I upgraded one of my players to 3.0 Beta, our live stream is showing some very wierd behavior. It will startup quickly and play for about 20-40 seconds and then I get the black screen showing loading, please wait, but no buffer bar. In looking at the debugger output, I see index = time in seconds...then 20-40 seconds later, I get the same message only larger and then to buffering screen.

did you manage to solve this problem ?
0 Kudos
bmckim
Visitor

I am having the exact same issue with Wowza and Roku 3.0 beta
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Please PM me links to HLS streams that don't play on v3.0 Beta and do play on v3.0.... We'd like to nail all the regression bugs before we release v3.0.

Thanks!

--Kevin
0 Kudos
shantyman
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
Please PM me links to HLS streams that don't play on v3.0 Beta and do play on v3.0.... We'd like to nail all the regression bugs before we release v3.0.

Thanks!

--Kevin

hi Kevin, I will pm links in few seconds , thank you for your help
mark
0 Kudos