Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan_shneider
Visitor

FormatJson results in a lower case string

I have a json like:
bodyJson = {
        "userUUID" : mUserUUID,
    }  
str = FormatJson(bodyJson, 1)
This str is sent as the string on AsyncPostFromString, with the following headers :
mRequest.AddHeader("Content-Type", "application/json")
mRequest.AddHeader("Accept", "application/json")
mRequest.AsyncPostFromString(str)
mRequest.EnableEncodings(true)

For some reason, the string str is all in lowercase ("userUUID" becomes "useruuid")
Any idea?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: FormatJson results in a lower case string

"dan_shneider" wrote:
I have a json like:
bodyJson = {
        "userUUID" : mUserUUID,
    }  

For some reason, the string str is all in lowercase ("userUUID" becomes "useruuid")

Associative array keys are case-insensitive by default, and in the case of associative array literal values and dot operator assignments are not case-preserving.
Thus, if you do "print bodyJson" you will see that the assigned key name is "useruuid".

Depending on your requirements, you could alternatively do:

bodyJson = {}
bodyJson["userUUID"] = mUserUUID

and then the FormatJSON result would be what you expect, as the assignment using the literal is case-preserving on the key.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
Associative array keys are case-insensitive by default, and in the case of associative array literal values and dot operator assignments are not case-preserving.

It would be better (better design) if string-literals as keys in AA literals are case-preserving, unlike the var-name keys. I.e.
Brightscript Debugger> ? {"A": "A", B: "B"}   
<Component: roAssociativeArray> =
{
   A: "A"    'wishful thinking'
   b: "B"
}

It will both bring it in line with ["A"] behavior and also cater to developer's intuition of "no, i want it exactly as i wrote it - see, quoted verbatim! - no improvisations"
0 Kudos
dan_shneider
Visitor

Thanks a lot for the help. will try that out.
0 Kudos
dan_shneider
Visitor

bodyJson = {}
bodyJson["userUUID"] = mUserUUID

This is working. thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
parag
Visitor

Got bit by the same issue and took a while debugging it since server kept of rejecting the json request as FormatJson() gave a json with keys converted to all lower-case. Any future plans of making the keys case-sensitive for the roassociativeArray?
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Doubt it, the whole language is case insensitive, except when it's not.  :cry:
Personally I try to keep everything in my code lowercase_with_underscores instead of camelCase, just to enforce some consistency. The official Roku examples are all over the map in terms of camelCase, I was really confused at first until I found a mention in the docs that BS is case insensitive. 
0 Kudos
parag
Visitor

I would as well, but the server folks are inconsistency using camel case in some places, all lower case in others and separated by _ in still others. I don't have control and the api's are already complete and being used. Changes now would wreck havoc in a bunch of other places.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Ok, so have a close, attentive look to this example:
Brightscript Debugger> check = function(d): d.a = "a": d.A = "A": d["b"] = "b": d["B"] = "B": ? d: end function
Brightscript Debugger> d = {}: check(d)
{
   a: "A"
   B: "B"
}
Brightscript Debugger> d.SetModeCaseSensitive(): check(d)
{
   B: "B"
   a: "A"
   b: "b"
}

The dot-notation is a case-lowering option.
The [] indexing is case-preserving BUT case-insensitive at the same time - so use that if you are sure there will be no keys that differ only in upper/lower casing. And if you set SetModeCaseSensitive(), then the indexing operator turns into both case-preserving AND case-sensitive.

That does not apply to the dictionary literals (i.e. `{a: 1, A: 2}`) though - they are allways case-clobbering (for now?)
0 Kudos
parag
Visitor

Thank you for the clear explanation. It is good to know that there is a solution for same keys with different case if it ever comes up.
0 Kudos