Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnclayton
Level 7

First channel ready to submit?

Hi all,

I've been working on a new channel and am just about ready to submit. I've got a version staged and would appreciate any feedback!

https://owner.roku.com/add/MEQTH

Thank you!
John
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12\
kc8pql
Level 8

Re: First channel ready to submit?

Channel description?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
johnclayton
Level 7

Re: First channel ready to submit?

Sorry...the app is called Channel TWiT and is a way to watch all the content on the TWiT network. Here's the description I have setup for the store:

"Join Leo Laporte and friends as they bring you the best tech coverage on the internet. Catch up on your favorite shows, find new ones, or tune in live. Shows like Tech News Today, Windows Weekly, Security Now, & more are available right here on Channel TWiT!"

It's pretty simple right now - watch live, pick a show, or find recent shows.

One thing I'm worried about is limiting it to players with v4.8, which is required for JSON parsing. Do all the current players support 4.8?
0 Kudos
destruk
Level 10

Re: First channel ready to submit?

Maybe it's because there is already a Twit channel in the channel store?

http://www.roku.com/channels#!details/199/twit
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 9

Re: First channel ready to submit?

"johnclayton" wrote:
One thing I'm worried about is limiting it to players with v4.8, which is required for JSON parsing. Do all the current players support 4.8?

JSON parsing was added to 3.1 a month or so ago, so it's available on both Roku 1 and Roku 2 players now.

That aside, as destruk pointed out, there's already a number of ways to access TWiT on the Roku, including an official channel. It's pretty unlikely that yours would get approved for public release, if that's your plan...?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
johnclayton
Level 7

Re: First channel ready to submit?

"TheEndless" wrote:

JSON parsing was added to 3.1 a month or so ago, so it's available on both Roku 1 and Roku 2 players now.


Awesome! So would I be safe if I set the minimum version to 3.1 b104? What about all the 4.x versions less than 4.8? Is it typical that those don't exist anymore due to devices upgrading themselves?

"TheEndless" wrote:

That aside, as destruk pointed out, there's already a number of ways to access TWiT on the Roku, including an official channel. It's pretty unlikely that yours would get approved for public release, if that's your plan...?


Forgive me if I've missed something, but I don't recall seeing anywhere in the documentation or guidelines that apps similar to existing apps would be rejected. I wrote this app to be part of a cross-platform family of apps that work together, and to add some functionality that the existing app doesn't offer.

It would be extremely disappointing if Roku had such a policy. Without a little competition what motivation is there for developers to make their apps better or unique? The iOS and Android markets wouldn't be anywhere near where they are today if they had a policy like this.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 9

Re: First channel ready to submit?

"johnclayton" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

JSON parsing was added to 3.1 a month or so ago, so it's available on both Roku 1 and Roku 2 players now.

Awesome! So would I be safe if I set the minimum version to 3.1 b104? What about all the 4.x versions less than 4.8? Is it typical that those don't exist anymore due to devices upgrading themselves?

There shouldn't be any current devices lower than 4.8, so setting it to 3.1 should be fine.

"johnclayton" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

That aside, as destruk pointed out, there's already a number of ways to access TWiT on the Roku, including an official channel. It's pretty unlikely that yours would get approved for public release, if that's your plan...?


Forgive me if I've missed something, but I don't recall seeing anywhere in the documentation or guidelines that apps similar to existing apps would be rejected. I wrote this app to be part of a cross-platform family of apps that work together, and to add some functionality that the existing app doesn't offer.

It would be extremely disappointing if Roku had such a policy. Without a little competition what motivation is there for developers to make their apps better or unique? The iOS and Android markets wouldn't be anywhere near where they are today if they had a policy like this.

I don't think there's any such policy, but you do need to have rights to distribute the content in your channel. Do you have permission to distribute the TWiT content, particularly the live stream and their logos? Either way, it's not our call.. just giving you a heads up that it might be an issue...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
OddScott
Level 11

Re: First channel ready to submit?

"TheEndless" wrote:
I don't think there's any such policy, but you do need to have rights to distribute the content in your channel. Do you have permission to distribute the TWiT content, particularly the live stream and their logos? Either way, it's not our call.. just giving you a heads up that it might be an issue...

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Week_in_Tech "All episodes are licensed under the Creative Commons attribution share-alike noncommercial license". If I understand that license correctly, I don't think there would be a problem incorporating any TWiT episodes into a Roku channel.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - Build a Roku channel in 5 minutes!
0 Kudos
johnclayton
Level 7

Re: First channel ready to submit?

"TheEndless" wrote:

There shouldn't be any current devices lower than 4.8, so setting it to 3.1 should be fine.


I've updated the minimum version to 3.1. Glad that was in there, wish it had been documented. Thank you for pointing it out! I don't have a 3.1 device handy...would anyone with one mind please trying the channel and making sure it works?

Does 3.1 ship on any current devices? Would an LT or HD be good for development? I've got a Roku 2 XS right now.

"TheEndless" wrote:

I don't think there's any such policy, but you do need to have rights to distribute the content in your channel. Do you have permission to distribute the TWiT content, particularly the live stream and their logos?


TWiT actually provides a wiki page with all the information needed to make TWiT apps, so I'd be surprised if there were any issues. It includes both the logos and stream information. And as OddScott pointed out the episodes are licensed under Creative Commons. I could add a legal or about page, but seeing that I'm not claiming the content as my own I don't believe that is necessary.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

Re: First channel ready to submit?

"johnclayton" wrote:


Does 3.1 ship on any current devices? Would an LT or HD be good for development? I've got a Roku 2 XS right now.


No. All current models run 4.XX
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos