Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeroen
Visitor

Error Eclipse BrightScript Plugin Exception on Ubuntu

Hi all,

I am (trying) to run the eclipse brightscript plugin under Ubuntu. Saidly enough I'm running into some nullreference exceptions. Hope somebody knows a solution...

I'm Ubuntu 10.10.
Installed Eclipse IDE for Java Developers 3.7 (indigo) as found here.
After installation I installed the Brightscript plugin as described in eclipsePluginGuide.pdf.
It worked like a charm!! Really impressed!

The next day was a whole different story though. I opened the IDE, selected the perspective but when I tried to do an export using "BrightScript Deployment" I got the an error. The only difference between a working IDE and this error was a reboot...

Anyway, here is the error:

Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface".

Stack:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.wizards.deployment.BrightScriptDeploymentWizard.init(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.WorkbenchWizardNode.getWizard(WorkbenchWizardNode.java:185)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardSelectionPage.getNextPage(WizardSelectionPage.java:104)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.WorkbenchWizardSelectionPage.getNextPage(WorkbenchWizardSelectionPage.java:100)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.ImportExportPage.getNextPage(ImportExportPage.java:431)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.ImportExportPage.treeDoubleClicked(ImportExportPage.java:234)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.ExportPage$2.doubleClick(ExportPage.java:71)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$1.run(StructuredViewer.java:845)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:49)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:175)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireDoubleClick(StructuredViewer.java:843)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.handleDoubleSelect(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1462)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$4.widgetDefaultSelected(StructuredViewer.java:1246)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireDefaultSelectionEvent(OpenStrategy.java:249)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$0(OpenStrategy.java:246)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:307)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1258)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3588)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3209)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler$Export.executeHandler(WizardHandler.java:101)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler.execute(WizardHandler.java:277)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:293)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeCommand(HandlerService.java:169)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.CommandAction.runWithEvent(CommandAction.java:157)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.CommandAction.run(CommandAction.java:171)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.ExportResourcesAction.run(ExportResourcesAction.java:116)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.BaseSelectionListenerAction.runWithEvent(BaseSelectionListenerAction.java:168)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1258)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3588)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3209)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2696)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2660)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2494)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:674)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:667)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:123)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)

Session:
eclipse.buildId=I20110613-1736
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product

Taken actions
1. Uninstalled the plugin en reinstalled it.
2. Uninstalled the plugin, manually installed DLTK 2.0 and reinstalled the plugin.
3. Completely removed eclipse including workspace data, user data, and everything I could find about eclipse. (even hidden stuff) Redid a complete installation. Still no luck.

I'm kinda out of options at the moment. Hopefully some you will have some more options which I could try.

Thanks in advance!
Jeroen
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Jeroen
Visitor

Re: Error Eclipse BrightScript Plugin Exception on Ubuntu

I found myself some new options:
I totally removed eclipse including the plugins, again.
Reinstalled java 6 and eclipse using the eclipse installation manual. Only this time I installed the Helios version.
And finally installed the brightscript plugin agian.

This brought me a bit closer to a working IDE. 🙂
I made a new project and used the the audio application template.
I'm able to choose 'export -> brightscript deployment' and it opens the Deployment Wizard. 🙂
Selected the project (root) and filled it the page to make an archive file and deploy it on my Roku.
When hitting finish the Roku screen pops to its main screen (so it is communicating) but I get a popup with the following error:

Unable to package application on Roku Box at IP Address '192.168.2.32'
Reason Unexpected response:
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=plugin_install">

When I try to install the made zip (archive) file using the web portal I get the message 'Install Failure: No manifest. Invalid package'. I double checked if the manifest was checked in the wizard. I also opened the manifest in the IDE and nothing seems to be wrong there...

If somebody has an idea about what I'm doing wrong here I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Jeroen
0 Kudos
Jeroen
Visitor

Found the issue. I compared the zip file with the one in the in the SDK. My zip file contained the parent directory <audioapp> where the zip in the SDK contained files from one directory deeper. My mistake was to check the application root directory on export.

Beginners mistake for sure :oops:

Thanks,
Jeroen
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"Jeroen" wrote:
Found the issue. I compared the zip file with the one in the in the SDK. My zip file contained the parent directory <audioapp> where the zip in the SDK contained files from one directory deeper. My mistake was to check the application root directory on export.

Beginners mistake for sure :oops:

Thanks,
Jeroen

Generally, you don't have to do any manual selection, since the export wizard will auto-select the manifest file, the source and images sub-dirs, and any image files it finds anywhere in the project. Additional manual file and directory selection is only needed for other types of files that need to be local/on-box with the channel.

Having said that, it sounds like there's an issue there involving selecting the project top-level dir. The export wizard should do the right thing when creating the zip file in that particular case, but it sounds like it isn't. I've filed a bug covering that issue along with the situation where files outside the project are selected (which can also produce a zip file the Roku box chokes on).

FYI, for future reference - please post any feedback or issues with the Eclipse plugin to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=42578 . That thread is more closely monitored for eclipse plugin bugs, enhancement requests, questions about use, etc.

Cheers
0 Kudos
Jeroen
Visitor

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I noticed that I was to "click happy" on the wizard screen. Selecting the top level will folder will also include the top level folder in the zip. Good to hear that any issues will be traced and resolved if needed. I will post any issues in the suggested thread.

Thanks, Jeroen
0 Kudos
whatbox
Visitor

1. I get the same error message when using Eclipse with Brightscript plugin on Windows 7 32bit
The wizard is not selecting the source folder, which (through troubleshooting) appears to be a requisite in addition to any changed/added resources.

2. When only images change, the simplevideoplayer app does not always resolve the images. png seemed to work better than jpg.

3. Documentation does not recommend format for JPG Standard, Optimized, Progressive (3, 4, 5). What is recommended?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"whatbox" wrote:

3. Documentation does not recommend format for JPG Standard, Optimized, Progressive (3, 4, 5). What is recommended?

While any of these formats should work, I'd recommend using Baseline Optimized.

Display is implemented as download and blit, so using progressive will not provide any visual benefit, and is likely less efficient in terms of download size and time to fully decode.
0 Kudos
whatbox
Visitor

Thank you.
0 Kudos