Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streamingguy
Visitor

Encoder with built-in segmenter for HLS

Hello,

Could you please suggest a good encoder with built-in HLS segmenter? We are mainly encoding source from DVD format to HLS format.

Thanks for your time!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
bandal
Visitor

Re: Encoder with built-in segmenter for HLS

I would like to know too. I use Sorenson Squeeze to output DVD to HLS to Hard Drive. But waiting on a good preset that works good. Encoding.com guys said the Apple Mac app called Compressor will do that too, but may be to slow to pump out the files depending on the number of cores on the processor. Or build a PC using Viewcast Osprey Cards from viewcast.com.
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Thank you for your information. I have also tried Sorenson Squeeze, but as I mentioned in my previous thread, I have few audio issues. All of my DVDs have few seconds of silence at the beginning and hence entire output has no audio.

I am surprised to see that all small conversion programs (DVD to MP4) works great without audio issues. But, all these top encoders (Digital Rapids, Rhozet, Squeeze...) are producing no audio.

We have to encode more than 200 DVDs and hence looking for some good software, so that we can install it on couple Amazon EC2 instances for quick encoding.
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

I agree the small encoders work, I have DVD's and VCD's 200 to 800 to convert. VCD's are a pain and get video and audio out of sync unless I use TMPGenc to get a mpeg2 then convert to mp4. I wish the higher end encoders would do what we want.
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Thank you for your reply!

As converting DVDs to HLS is becoming big pain, I am going with multiple bit rate MP4. Do you see any disadvantages with this approach?

I see only advantages as:

1. Any simple encoder can convert DVDs to MP4.
2. We can embed AC3 audio easily.
3. File management is easy as its a single file (or couple of files if we choose multiple bit rate).
4. We can use BIF files like Netflix.

I will still search for better HLS encoder. Let me know, if you come across anything on your way.
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

So far I am staying with MP4 versus HLS. Variable bitrates I have not incorporated yet, but I think I would have to create an array of the multible bitrates and keep the bitrate=0 set for adaptive. I asked Sorenson to create an HLS preset that works versus the Roku MP4 presets they have now. I hope they do it and get the hints from encoding.com parameters. Or whoever on this Forum is using it now and has a good preset, please add a good working HLS preset to the Sorenson site or PM us.
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

I tried with Sorenson, but I had audio issues as mentioned earlier. When I have few seconds of silence at the beginning of the video, it is considering total video without audio. So, I am looking for other alternates.
0 Kudos