Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malloys
Visitor

Re: Eclipse plugin for Brightscript

"auzy" wrote:
Window | Preferences | General | Editors | File Associations.
Add an entry for *.brs if not already in there, and associate it with the Brightscript Editor.

You can also choose to open the file by right-click, Open With, Brightscript Editor (possibly under 'Other').

Cheers

Quite correct - this should get you the BrightScript editor from that point forward for all .brs files, regardless of project type/nature (or plugin version).

Note, this should not be necessary if you are using the Advanced version of the plugin, and use the "New BrightScript Project" wizard to create your project - it will automatically associate all .brs files in the project with the BrightScript editor. Existing projects not created with the BrightScript new project wizard (again, with the advanced plugin) can be converted to BrightScript projects by adding:

<natures>
<nature>com.domhain.brightscript.plugin.nature</nature>
</natures>

to the .project file in the root of the project's filesystem directory. After that, any new .brs files added to the project will automatically be edited by the BrightScript editor.

BTW, the beta 2 version of the advanced plugin should be available around this time next week.
It will include, at a minimum, the addition of new deployment wizard user-selectable options for side-loading, (re)keying, and application package creation.

Cheers
0 Kudos
Hexamon

Malloys,

I think it is an excellent idea to develop an Eclipse plugin for BrightScript. Please, let me know if you're interested in some help in your development effort. I'll gladly join the project in whatever capacity needed - developer, tester, etc.

Thanks,

regards
gg
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

How can I tell if I have the Advanced vs basic plugin? What is the procedure for switching to advanced if I don't?
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Ok, I figured it out. Now I have the advanced plugin. I do not see anything that says "New Brightscript project" anywhere. I'm on OS X tiger with carbon / helios version of eclipse.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
Ok, I figured it out. Now I have the advanced plugin. I do not see anything that says "New Brightscript project" anywhere. I'm on OS X tiger with carbon / helios version of eclipse.

File->New->Project->BrightScript Project
or
File>New->Project->BrightScript->BrightScript Project

Either way should start the BrightScript Project Wizard.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

File New Project does not have an option for Brightscript project in it. Is there something that needs to be done besides installing the plugin to make it show up? I had both advanced and basic installed before, now I just have advanced. In neither case was there anything about Brightscript in the New Project menu.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
File New Project does not have an option for Brightscript project in it. Is there something that needs to be done besides installing the plugin to make it show up? I had both advanced and basic installed before, now I just have advanced. In neither case was there anything about Brightscript in the New Project menu.

It exists in the advanced version of the plugin, and not the basic version.
Be sure to un-install the basic version before installing the advanced version, as they conflict with each other.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Uninstalled both, installed Advanced. There is nothing about brightscript in the New Project menu or anywhere else I can see except in the installed software dialog that shows:

Advanced BrightScript Support 1.0.0.201009162022 com.domhain.brightscript.plugin.feature.group
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
Uninstalled both, installed Advanced. There is nothing about brightscript in the New Project menu or anywhere else I can see except in the installed software dialog that shows:

Advanced BrightScript Support 1.0.0.201009162022 com.domhain.brightscript.plugin.feature.group

That's extremely odd.

I've tested it on clean installations of both Eclipse IDE for Java 3.5 and 3.6 (on Windows 7), it's definitely there.
I'm wondering if it's something about the version of Eclipse you're running that's causing a semi-silent error when the File->New->Project menu item is selected.

Please post or PM me 3 things:

1) A screen shot of the "About Eclipse" dialog
2) A screen shot of the "Error Log" view (after selecting File->New->Project)
3) A screen shot of the "Console" view (after selecting File->New->Project)
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

FYI, The 1.0 beta 2 version of the advanced BrightScript plugin for Eclipse is now available.
1.0 beta versions of the advanced plugin are free

Important notes:

• The Basic BrightScript plugin and the Advanced BrightScript plugin can not co-exist in the same Eclipse install instance. You must first un-install the Basic plugin before installing the Advanced plugin.

• This beta release will time-out on 12/1/2010.

As always, the best bet is to use the over-the-wire install mechanism built into Eclipse ( Help->Install New Software ).
The update site is the same as before: http://www.domhain.com/eclipse/updates

New features in this release (1.0 beta 2):

• Sideloading - Added as an optional step in the BrightScript Deployment Wizard (File->Export->BrightScript->BrightScript Deployment). Note: Developer mode must already be activated on the target Roku Box.

• Package file ( .pkg ) creation and download - Added as an optional step in the BrightScript Deployment Wizard (File->Export->BrightScript->BrightScript Deployment).

• Keys/DevID/Password Generation (i.e. "genkey") - Added as an optional button press in the BrightScript Deployment Wizard (File->Export->BrightScript->BrightScript Deployment).

• Content Assist - Keyword, Global Function, Components, Function/Sub, Object/Variable, and Code Templates will show in a suggestions list when content assist is invoked inside an editor window ( Ctrl + Space ).

• Code Templates - Added as both a set of preferences (Window->Preferences->BrightScript->Editor->Templates) and available in Content Assist ( Ctrl + Space ) after the first word(s) is typed.

• Task Tags - Default list of "TODO,FIXME,OPTIMIZE,XXX" as keywords at the beginning of a comment line. The list of task tag keywords is user-editable in preferences (Window->Preferences->BrightScript->Editor->Todo Tasks) and the coloring of Task tagged lines is also user-editable in preferences (Window->Preferences->BrightScript->Editor->Syntax Coloring).

Bugfixes in this release (1.0 beta 2):

• Bug: Non-BrightScript projects can see the BrightScript Deployment Wizard as an option.
    Fix: Non-BrightScript projects will still see the BrightScript Deployment Wizard as an option, but will see an error dialog explaining the reason and suggested manual fix.

• Bug: Plugin fails to install under Eclipse 3.5.x
    Fix: Plugin now loads under Eclipse 3.5.x ; Dependency on org.eclipse.debug.core 3.6.0 changed to org.eclipse.debug.core 3.5.0

Features introduced in 1.0 beta 1:

• New Project wizard - creates the project, associates the other features listed here with the project, suggests a deployment-friendly directory structure, allows you to modify the list, and creates a manifest file

• Syntax checking & in-editor error highlighting & persistent problem reporting in problems tab.

• Syntax/keyword coloring - same as the basic version of the plugin

• Structure outline - Hyperlinking to Functions/Subs declarations and Field (initial variable creation) declarations

• Comments and Code folding - Editor collapsible regions for comments and Functions/Subs.

• References/Declarations search for methods (Subs/Functions) and fields (any variable).

• Hover help - Shows comments from above method or field declarations, or args/return types when there are no associated comments

• Deployment wizard - does intelligent zip candidate file selection based on Roku supported file types, allows you to modify the list, and then creates zip file. Note, this is under the File->Export menu

• Preference pages for various aspects of the above features

Known bugs and issues

• Search for references on variables/fields are not scoped correctly (false-positive finds for out-of-method non-global references and not handling "m." refs correctly)

• Search for references on methods incorrectly includes component interface method calls of the same name

• Anon functions/functions assigned to associative array members are not included in method declaration/reference searches, not in outline pane, etc.

• Syntax checking is not yet 100% language correct for all the basic language elements - some things may be flagged as errors that are OK in BrightScript, and vice-versa.

• There are several unneeded/irrelevent menu and preference items (type declaration search, open type hierarchy, folding prefs for things not in the language, etc.).

• Tasks Tags do not generate the "todo task icon" in the annotation bar or show up in the Tasks view window unless the keyword is prefixed with the "#" character.

• Tasks in the Task View show up with task type "DLTK Task" when they should be of type "BrightScript Task".

• Content Assist is not very context sensitive yet - all possible language keywords are listed, even those not applicable for the current region, and all functions/subs are listed that are in the current file but not those in other files, and all objects/variables are listed for the current file, even those not in the current function/sub.

• Content Assist shows an additional description/documentation window, but no content is shown.

• The current package field in the BrightScript Deployment Wizard is empty despite an application being currently installed if the currently installed package is not downloadable (i.e. installed, but not packaged, or packaged but no download link is presented by the Roku box).

Features and improvements slated for future releases:

• Better context sensitivity in Content Assist

• A set of built-in default Code Templates based on common BrightScript language statements and common code patterns observed in the SDK examples and the forums

• Manifest form/raw dual-pane intelligent editor

• Code libraries & sub-projects - optional inclusion in project and Deployment wizard

• Syntax Checking improvements: support for global functions & components and their allowable args

• References search for built-in types (aka components)

• Hover help improvements/additions: showing documentation from SDK for global functions and components.

• Call hierarchy (bi-directional ... caller/callee)

• Code formatter/formatting profiles

• Auto-highlighting of other references/declarations based on current editor selection

• Content attributes assoc array intelligent editor

• Deployment wizard improvements: various preflight checks on sanity of code, images & manifest.

• Roku DVP on-box Debugger/Eclipse IDE integration

Feedback is not only welcome, but very much requested.

Cheers
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.