Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlott
Visitor

Eclipse SDK generate new keys

I updated the Eclipse plugin recently and went to generate a new set of keys today for an app I am going to publish. However in the new version of the plugin, the password field for the newly generated key shows all stars (*********) and you cannot copy the password from that field. What am I missing here? How am I supposed to record my password for future use?

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Eclipse SDK generate new keys

You shouldn't need to have the password as long as you retain a signed copy of the PKG file with the current key (whatever it is) -- You can re-key using that prior signed package.
Even the roku page itself doesn't keep a password accesible for you - you should have a copy from when you initially keyed the box saved in a text file somewhere.
If you lose your tron data disc...er...key, and don't have a signed pkg with that key, then you'll need to generate a new one.
Since the eclipse plugin has the key saved somewhere (or there would be no way to package a channel through eclipse) there might be some way to hack it to get the key out of the saved location.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
You shouldn't need to have the password as long as you retain a signed copy of the PKG file with the current key (whatever it is) -- You can re-key using that prior signed package.

You have to have both the password and a signed PKG in order to re-key the box.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

er...right Endless. I forgot that. 😞
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

FYI, I've suggested (to my Roku overlords) 4 different possible plugin changes to address this issue - just waiting to see which way we're going with it.

Note, the plugin retains the packaging dev id and password for future use, so as long as the box is not re-keyed manually, or you do not delete or otherwise lose your eclipse instance, you're covered on future packaging thru that eclipse instance (obviously, this does not cover all possible cases, hence my submission of several possible enhancement requests to the plugin).
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"malloys" wrote:
FYI, I've suggested (to my Roku overlords) 4 different possible plugin changes to address this issue - just waiting to see which way we're going with it.

FYI, got a very fast reply on this one. So, I've got a fix on its way - it should be quick.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

In the next version of the plugin to be published to the update server, the password fields in the export/deployment dialog will show asterisks by default, but will also have a toggle button in front of each to allow the cleartext display of the password as needed.

cheers
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"malloys" wrote:
In the next version of the plugin to be published to the update server, the password fields in the export/deployment dialog will show asterisks by default, but will also have a toggle button in front of each to allow the cleartext display of the password as needed.

cheers

FYI, the new version with this fix (toggle buttons for display/hide of password field contents) has been pushed to the production update site.
0 Kudos
dlott
Visitor

Thanks for looking into this so quickly.

I updated to the latest version tonight ( BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201408081014 ) but I don't see the new checkbox for showing the password. The deployment panel looks the same as before, with the password still starred out.

Thanks again,
David
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"dlott" wrote:
Thanks for looking into this so quickly.

I updated to the latest version tonight ( BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201408081014 ) but I don't see the new checkbox for showing the password. The deployment panel looks the same as before, with the password still starred out.

Thanks again,
David

Just double-checked it by updating one of my test instances (from the update site) - the buttons are definitely there.
The buttons are in front of each password field and labeled with "..."
0 Kudos