Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

Hi

Could anyone point me to documentation and samples Brightscript code for detecting the presence and then interpreting the movements from a remote handset?

E.g (like Roku 2 and 3) that feature this movement capability - not sure what the correct term for it is.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

This is not currently available as a public api, except via https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Level 9

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

"RokuJoel" wrote:
This is not currently available as a public api, except via https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/

- Joel
A bit shortsighted on Roku's part IMO. I would have built a keyboard with a mouse-like cursor already ( couldn't have been that much more work than the one I already built) and probably would have open-sourced it here to thank folks for all the help Ive gotten on this board. That is in the unlikely event someone didn't beat me to it.
Instead... No soup for us!

Really not clear on what the big secret is.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

"squirreltown" wrote:
Really not clear on what the big secret is.


No big secret, just the APIs we have in place for brightscript are not quite up to par with the rest of the SDK, and we don't want to release anything that we would have to change in the future and break published channels.

Not sure what you mean about a keyboard. If you wanted to pass in motion events from a home built device or an IOS app over the tcp/ip network, that info is documented in the ECP Guidlines

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Level 9

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Not sure what you mean about a keyboard. If you wanted to pass in motion events from a home built device or an IOS app over the tcp/ip network...

Gee it seems pretty obvious to me. Use the Roku remote to move a cursor around the screen. A big improvment over the way it's done now. "Home built device"? Not sure that's the answer. If only Roku included some sort of hand-held motion sensing device with their boxes... :roll:
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

You mentioned something about building a device:
"squirreltown" wrote:
I would have built a keyboard with a mouse-like cursor already ( couldn't have been that much more work than the one I already built) and probably would have open-sourced it here



- Joel
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

"RokuJoel" wrote:
You mentioned something about building a device:
"squirreltown" wrote:
I would have built a keyboard with a mouse-like cursor already ( couldn't have been that much more work than the one I already built) and probably would have open-sourced it here

Not a device, a software keyboard that uses an onscreen cursor instead of the d-pad.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

"TheEndless" wrote:
Not a device, a software keyboard that uses an onscreen cursor instead of the d-pad.

Sadly, the experience likely will be like typing on a Wii with the "WiiMote". After doing that a few times, i think i know the real purpose of the "leash" - so one does not throw the remote in rage at the TV Smiley Very Happy. I suspect that's why RokuCo did not include motion keyboard as an option, usability did not pan out.
0 Kudos