Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Detecting Keypress Release

Thanks for all the replies and discussion.
"NewManLiving" wrote:
I also notice the biggest problem I have with a lost or missing key-release is with the ROKU stick. Have observed that behavior since I bought it

That's what I'm hearing as well - it happens often enough on Roku stick to be a real problem. Maybe we need to have our app detect the device and disable the "long press" functionality if it's a stick...
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

In the code I'm working on now, i'm seeing this happening to me somewhat frequently on Roku 3 & Roku 4 to the point where it's becoming a quality issue. It's like the roku is busy doing something else and doesn't notice the user released the key, and then keeps scrolling forever until the user clicks something else. I wish there was a way to poll the current keystate (hey remote, are you *really* still being pressed?)
aspiring
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

I rarely have the problem and use keypress logic extensively. What I do notice is more on the stick which I already mentioned and with the ROKU 4 and it's remote, especially when the battery is getting low (which is about every three to four weeks on mine). I stopped using the ROKU 4 remote altogether and took out the batteries. Rule of thumb - never buy the first release of anything. But other than that I have no real issues with keypress release
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

ah thanks! Must be because I'm using the Roku 4 for R&D I'm seeing this more.
aspiring
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
BradC, did you reproduce this with an IR remote or RF?

RokuMarkn -
here is a video i spotted today - this one is with the RF remote^ of HDMI Stick. Guy was so peeved, returned the player to PoS:
https://twitter.com/jondocksocks/status ... 0450429952

Does this help establishing the phenomenon exists?

(^) initially i recognized the remote as IR one because of the rubber direction keys with central OK (design before used only in IR remotes) and though how stupid of them to try and control teh stick with one - but then i looked up and seems "new" (?) packaging of sticks sports a RF remote with that design instead of the plastic rocker D-pad with OK underneath.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

My Roku stick with wifi remote has the rubber direction/ok pad
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Here is an alternative theory - maybe it's the component that has the issue, not the remote?

This is what happened to me today in Roku's Google "Play Movies", so bizarre i figured i'll film it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BetjLZ8MXkw

Basically the "My Movies" grid screen can get stuck infinitely scrolling, which is so weird because it seems to be a regular roGridScreen sub-type. There is no hidden remote. This all happened using the remote held, using left/right arrows made it stuck scrolling and repeat use of the arrows won't un-stuck it. The << / >> stop it but... only temporarily. It is a repeatable bug, not a one-off. WTF...
0 Kudos