Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zcode7
Visitor

Debug Console Not Loading

Hi Developer Forum,

I can't seem to access the developer console on both my work XD and home XDS box on port 8085. When I go to the URL, it just loads and loads and loads, with the screen completely white. I tried resetting to factory on my home box to no avail. Any ideas here?

I'm really hoping I can resolve this issue ASAP because it has put a stop to all development efforts for me.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Debug Console Not Loading

Did you re-enable developer mode? It was disabled in 4.8, so devs would have to accept the new developer agreement: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDK ... ease+Notes
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
zcode7
Visitor

I was never prompted to re-enable, and installing packages works just fine. I just can't bring up the dev console when I go to <roku IP address>:8085 in my browser, which has worked the last few weeks.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

In your browser? You need to connect to 8085 in telnet/command prompt, or using Putty or something. I've never connected to 8085 in a browser. btw - 8085 only works while a channel is running on your target roku.
0 Kudos
zcode7
Visitor

Thanks for your prompt replies - feeling like a total noob over here haha. I telnetted in on the mac terminal but I'm not getting anything log-wise. Do I need to type in a command to enable the log? Thanks again!
0 Kudos
zcode7
Visitor

What I mean is, I type this in:
telnet <my roku Ip address> 8085

Then it says:
Trying <my roku ip address>....
Connected to <my roku ip address>

Then I try typing in commands like
bt
?HELLO WORLD

and it returns nothing. Any ideas here?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

You won't see any output on that port until you run a side-loaded channel. After the channel is running, you can type ctrl-C to break into the brightscript debugger.

--Mark
0 Kudos
zcode7
Visitor

Thanks everyone! I'm back up and running over here. Much appreciated.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
In your browser? You need to connect to 8085 in telnet/command prompt, or using Putty or something. I've never connected to 8085 in a browser. btw - 8085 only works while a channel is running on your target roku.

Connecting to port 8085 works fine for me using a browser -- if all you're looking for is the debug output. Sometimes I find it more convenient than using telnet from the Windows command prompt if I want to examine large debug output strings.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"belltown" wrote:
"destruk" wrote:

Connecting to port 8085 works fine for me using a browser -- if all you're looking for is the debug output. Sometimes I find it more convenient than using telnet from the Windows command prompt if I want to examine large debug output strings.

Care to elaborate? How are you accessing port 8085 via a browser? That doesn't work for me (nor would I expect it to).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos