Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KirkNmaconGA
Visitor

Re: DLNA

Yes that is true , there is no DNLA support for the Roku box, but there are several work arounds that will enable you to watch you downloads from your hard drive.

Kirk
0 Kudos
Arwen
Channel Surfer

"KirkNmaconGA" wrote:
Yes that is true , there is no DNLA support for the Roku box, but there are several work arounds that will enable you to watch you downloads from your hard drive.

Kirk

Yep, I can live with the above statement :).

Some of the LAN or USB media options work quite well.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
heybriguy
Visitor

The lack of response from Roku is a bit disappointing in regard to implementing any kind of built in local streaming. When the XBMC team released the Apple TV update I finally grabbed a 2G, jailbroke it, installed XBMC (along with FireCore's ATV Flash just out of curiosity, fyi it's not worth the $20). ATV does a nice job of streaming the media on my ReadyNAS but the prices and limits of tv shows and movie rentals is craziness. So now between my ATV, Roku, Tivo for OTA, I feel like I have a pretty comprehensive alternative to cable and it only cost me... gulp... Oh, I got a Harmony remote yesterday to run it all so my wife doesn't leave me!

Comparing the Roku and the ATV, the Roku is far superior but the lack of DLNA is a big strike against it in my case. ATV out of the box is crippled and almost criminally lacking features. Add XBMC to the ATV and you've got something worth looking at, when they add Hulu and Amazon plugins ATV will be on top. Just my opinion, I'd love to hear others!

*As I hit submit, my twitter client informed me that the USB Channel is now officially out. I hope it has more extensive codec support.
0 Kudos
fmedina
Visitor

Didn't mean to threaten with the sale of my one Roku 🙂 Simply was stating that I am bummed no DLNA. Anyways, gave it to my parents and they love it, got another PS3 for my room, now have access to all my DLNA stuff in my room! Apart from DLNA loved the Roku and will be watching here in case Roku decides to include DLNA in the future.

Regards,
0 Kudos
majer3rd
Visitor

hmm, still no DNLA after five months of no activity to this channel. Very disappointing Roku.
0 Kudos
smlsr
Visitor

DLNA - Checkout NokNok Release in the main streaming thread.....
0 Kudos
videohead
Visitor

Wow, still no DLNA support or even whispers of support at Roku? Really disappointing.
WD and Iomega Screenplay both work effortlessly with local media and all DLNA devices.
0 Kudos
rbrightwell
Visitor

And now that it is June 2013....??? Still no DLNA?
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Give the new Chaneru a try, it's still in test. http://www.chaneru.com/UPnP/
0 Kudos