Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ugandy
Visitor

DLNA

Hi,

Can current Roku hardware/SDK implement a DLNA client?

thanks!
hugo
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: DLNA

We do not currently have a DLNA or UPnP client. It would also be impossible to implement the Discovery process of UPnP with the current SDK as the Discovery process relies on a udp broadcast that is not available in the SDK.

We've taken note of all the activity in this forum around local streaming solutions and you can expect Roku to play a role in the space in future releases.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
ugandy
Visitor

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the update. That's very good news.

Cheers,
hugo
0 Kudos
OtisWild
Visitor

Has DLNA and/or UPnP been added to Roku player yet, or NFS/SMB share reading?

I am looking for a media streamer (I have an Xtreamer, it is a piece of junk), and being able to play off of a share or local streaming is mandatory for me.

If not, I'll likely go with the WDTV Live+ since it supports local streaming via upnp.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

uPnP/DLNA is still not supported. There are private channels available for local streaming, but they all require a server to serve up your files. And of course, they are limited to the codecs and file containers that are supported by the box, which are unfortunately severely lacking compared to the other available streamers out there. In short, you can do local network streaming on the Roku, but it's not very convenient. I love this little box as an internet streamer, but I can't recommend it if your primary use is going to be for streaming local content.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
danmittonsr
Visitor

DeftOne said... "There are private channels available for local streaming...". Where can I find these? What codecs / file types are supported? Thanks.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

MyMedia
Roxbox
Chaneru
USB Media Browser (XR model only)

Generally speaking mp4 and h.264 are supported, but there are pretty strict settings requirements. The Chaneru website includes a table from the SDK documentation that has more detailed information: http://www.chaneru.com/video.jpg
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
docpaul
Visitor

Hi, new prospective buyer here.

I'm a bit confused by this thread, as it appears that at least one pretty popular "technology news blog" believes DLNA support is coming as well?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/22/roku-xds-review/

Roku tells us it'll be adding additional support for DLNA streaming in the future, and with various DLNA-compatible devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Motorola Droid X, and LG Optimus Windows Phone 7 handset either out or on their way to market, it could present a solid alternative to Apple's AirPlay. We weren't able to test any DLNA features, though, since they're not currently available -- the potential is there, but Roku has to execute.

So, Roku folks... do we wait for this or move onto something else? I have a lot of home video, etc that I've archived and wanted to know if this device would support streaming this content?

Additionally, it was clear that Roku planned rendering new video formats in a December 2010 update:

http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Streaming-Pla ... ns-W5.aspx

At the bottom, in fine print:

USB port for playing stored photos, music,
and videos***
*** Available via free software update expected in Dec 2010. See specs for list of file formats supported.

Was this for the new firmware that just released today? I didn't see this reflected in the changelog. Seems like MKV isn't out of the question?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

They were misinformed about DLNA. We did incorporate a technology that is also used by DLNA (SSDP) to aid in the box being discoverable on the network (for things like iPhone control applications). DLNA is still a if/when kind of thing. No ETA or commitment.

USB support is still planned and in fact it's in the SDK, but we haven't yet released the official USB channel, though there are multiple applications public or private that do provide some level of USB support.
0 Kudos
jriver
Visitor

We're interested in helping out if anyone from Roku would like to talk about possibilities. Our software has full DLNA support.

I'm jimh at jriver.
0 Kudos