Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ionatan
Roku Guru

Cyrillic chars

How can I add Cyrillic (Russian) chars/letters on filter banner, for categories names?
My xml feed is UTF-8, and in the file the chars are displayed correct, but in the Roku Channel I can't see these letters.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Mister_DNA
Visitor

Re: Cyrillic chars

This is a good question. I've put up some Spanish-language videos that didn't play because of accented vowels used in the synopsis.

Another semi-related issue I've had is that an ampersand (&) used in the title or synopsis fields of an xml file causes big problems. I'm using the videoplayer example, btw.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The & needs to be in the xml as & or else it won't be able to be parsed.
As for alternate characters, there was a thread on this previously that said it would work with a custom font and roImageCanvas, but I'm not sure if that works currently or not.
You could have your xml parser replace the nonstandard characters before populating the screen content.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36652&hilit=russian
0 Kudos
Mister_DNA
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
The & needs to be in the xml as & or else it won't be able to be parsed.
As for alternate characters, there was a thread on this previously that said it would work with a custom font and roImageCanvas, but I'm not sure if that works currently or not.
You could have your xml parser replace the nonstandard characters before populating the screen content.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36652&hilit=russian

Thanks for that info. It looks like I might even be able to to use &#191 for ¿ and &#233 for é, etc. I'll give it a try. Thanks again!
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell
0 Kudos
ionatan
Roku Guru

For me isn't clear: Can I use Cyrillic chars with roXMLElement? If not, how can I parse these chars? I need to add Cyrillic chars on roPosterScreen and in roVideoScreen. For category/video name. How I can do this?
0 Kudos