Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom screen with top menu items and grid view

Hi All,

I am new to Roku Channel Development and I want to create a Custom Screen having Top Navigation Menu items and a GridScreen beneath it. (Something like VUDU roku channel)
If user change focus among top navigation items by pressing the remote key left-right then Gridview populates as per the item's content.
Also I want user to navigate from top menu item to GridView item and vice-versa by pressing the remote key up-down, and by pressing the remote key left-right button user should navigate to menu's items and grid view items.

Thanks
Shahbaz
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: Custom screen with top menu items and grid view

The best way to achieve this is with the 2D API. You can also use imagecanvas but it would not be really suitable for what you are trying to do. The 2D has a learning curve and as one brilliant developer has put it "Is a daunting task". But it is quite rewarding if you have the time to invest in it. Working for a client is probably not the best time to experiment with such complexity as you describe. It would involve not only mastering the 2D but also the texturemanager component which is best used asynchronously for dynamic grids. There are built-in components which offer the same menu/grid combo
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
tvjay
Channel Surfer

Re: Custom screen with top menu items and grid view

"NewManLiving" wrote:
The best way to achieve this is with the 2D API. You can also use imagecanvas but it would not be really suitable for what you are trying to do. The 2D has a learning curve and as one brilliant developer has put it "Is a daunting task". But it is quite rewarding if you have the time to invest in it. Working for a client is probably not the best time to experiment with such complexity as you describe. It would involve not only mastering the 2D but also the texturemanager component which is best used asynchronously for dynamic grids. There are built-in components which offer the same menu/grid combo

You can modify the gridscreen? I am trying to put a big splash screen above a standard gridscreen but didn't think that was possible.
0 Kudos