Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfb_mdialog
Visitor

Custom controls for roVideoPlayer

Hi, all,

I'm working on updating a couple of custom channels, and I need to add custom controls and behavior to the video playback component. I'm not familiar with Brightscript, so I was wondering if anybody had a pointer to some code I could crib -- setting up the player state machine, handling exceptions, &c. I've looked through the examples on the Roku Developer site, and there's nothing there that paints custom player chrome.

Any/all info is welcome.

Cheers!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Custom controls for roVideoPlayer

This should get you going in the right direction: http://blog.roku.com/developer/2012/10/ ... eo-player/
0 Kudos
jfb_mdialog
Visitor

Thanks, that was a start.

I've got my controls showing up and the state machine for trick mode finished, but I'm having two problems. One's just a documentation searching failure: I've painted stuff onto an roImageCanvas, and I can't clear the canvas. At all. I've tried clear(); clearLayer(); show(); all with sleep() in between. But nothing serves -- the canvas is preserved even across quitting the channel and restarting it. I've even added a button with addButton() in the debugger, and the button persists, even across channel installs! What's going on here?

The second problem is much scarier and more fundamental; I'm implementing new controls, and the functionality I need is, for instance, when the user pressed fast forward, the video player should pause (ok, simple enough), and a progress bar indicating where in the program the viewer is should be shown (again, easy enough), and then be updated, until the player state changes. My issue is that I do not have the ability to reuse my existing event loop, as once the player is paused, there are no more messages being received.

My main loop looks like:

while true
msg = wait(0, m.messagePort)

I've updated it to:

while true
msg = m.messagePort.getMessage()
if msg = invalid then
m.updateUI()
sleep(some_small_quantum)

The problem here is that no matter how small a quantum I use in the sleep, I'm still going to miss events, right? They don't stack? There's no way for me to inject timing messages into my event loop, right? Even if I had write access to that port, I wouldn't be able to have something firing off on a separate thread/proc of execution dumping new events into the port every e.g. 100ms.

Is this the sort of problem that can be solved in BrightScript?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"jfb_mdialog" wrote:
The problem here is that no matter how small a quantum I use in the sleep, I'm still going to miss events, right? They don't stack?

Events queue up, so you'll never miss one unless it's sent to a different port that you're not listening to.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jfb_mdialog
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"jfb_mdialog" wrote:
The problem here is that no matter how small a quantum I use in the sleep, I'm still going to miss events, right? They don't stack?

Events queue up, so you'll never miss one unless it's sent to a different port that you're not listening to.

That's one fewer thing to worry about, then. Thanks.
0 Kudos