Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norcaljohnny
Level 7

Creating a Rowlist

Can some please tell me how to create a 1 row rowlist using the generic content reader and an xml file.
For some reason I just can not do it. 

Ive seen bloated examples but is there something as simple as creating it like one would a markupgrid or such.

Kind regards!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
destruk
Level 10

Re: Creating a Rowlist

0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Level 7

Re: Creating a Rowlist

"destruk" wrote:
SimpleRowList is a good start -
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/download/attac ... 618&api=v2

 I was hoping you would help Smiley Happy
Sadly, I still couldnt get it to work.
I was hoping of some example with an xml file. Using an rss feed it I get it to work but not a generic content reader and xml file..
Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
destruk
Level 10

Re: Creating a Rowlist

I think you'll need to be more specific.  I mean, if you are already parsing the content into your content node set, and you already can give that set of content to your markupgrid, then you just need a few settings for the rowlist and put the content over there for it. Is it failing when it displays the content on the screen, when interacting with the highlight and selection, or something else?
0 Kudos
g-se
Level 7

Re: Creating a Rowlist

I struggled with this for a while myself - I could never get the included sample content reader (from various examples) to load remote content, until I realized that those content readers weren't really coded to parse out the more complex rowlist structure. Here's the solution I came up with:

My XML format:
<rowlistdata>   
<row title = "First Row" >
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
</row>
<row title = "Second Row" >
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
</row>
</rowlistdata>


Then, I modified the content reader to parse this out:

sub getcontent()
content = createObject("roSGNode", "ContentNode")
contentxml = createObject("roXMLElement")

readInternet = createObject("roUrlTransfer")
readInternet.setUrl(m.top.contenturi)
contentxml.parse(readInternet.GetToString())

if contentxml.getName()="rowlistdata"
'print "rowlist data found"
for each item in contentxml.GetNamedElements("row")
'print "creating row"
          itemcontent = content.createChild("ContentNode")
itemcontent.setFields(item.getAttributes())
for each rowitem in item.GetNamedElements("rowitem")
'print "found row item"
rowitemcontent=itemcontent.createChild("[size=85][font=monospace]ContentNode[/font][/size]")
rowitemcontent.setFields(rowitem.getAttributes())
end for
end for
end if
m.top.content = content
end sub


Hope that helps some
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Level 7

Re: Creating a Rowlist

"g-se" wrote:
I struggled with this for a while myself - I could never get the included sample content reader (from various examples) to load remote content, until I realized that those content readers weren't really coded to parse out the more complex rowlist structure. Here's the solution I came up with:

My XML format:
<rowlistdata>   
<row title = "First Row" >
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
</row>
<row title = "Second Row" >
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
<rowitem HDPosterUrl = "..." title = "..." />
</row>
</rowlistdata>


Then, I modified the content reader to parse this out:

sub getcontent()
content = createObject("roSGNode", "ContentNode")
contentxml = createObject("roXMLElement")

readInternet = createObject("roUrlTransfer")
readInternet.setUrl(m.top.contenturi)
contentxml.parse(readInternet.GetToString())

if contentxml.getName()="rowlistdata"
'print "rowlist data found"
for each item in contentxml.GetNamedElements("row")
'print "creating row"
          itemcontent = content.createChild("ContentNode")
itemcontent.setFields(item.getAttributes())
for each rowitem in item.GetNamedElements("rowitem")
'print "found row item"
rowitemcontent=itemcontent.createChild("[size=85][font=monospace]ContentNode[/font][/size]")
rowitemcontent.setFields(rowitem.getAttributes())
end for
end for
end if
m.top.content = content
end sub


Hope that helps some

Works perfectly for my needs! 2000 thanks Smiley Happy
0 Kudos