Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsanderson
Visitor

Create private Channel access on power up

before I dig into the development doc. new to Roku. I wanted to ask a question on creating private channels.

I plan to create a single private channel per each roku install location.

Is it possible via the Roku SDK to auto start a private channel on Roku boot?

I do not need any of the public or install channels. I am trying to make the Roku a device that starts streaming from a preconfigured private channel after power up without users interaction. The Roku will be installed in a back office and
content will be controlled by a central database. I see having each Roku in this network dedicated to one private channel only. I may install 20 rokus at a location to deliver 20 private channels of video.

if this is possible with current 4.1 or 4.2 SDK great will start coding....

thanks
bill s.
Bill Sanderson
inroomdeals.com
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Trevor
Visitor

Re: Create private Channel access on power up

Perhaps it could be possible with the External Control Protocol. I don't see a way to check what's currently running on the Roku with that API, but you could send an input command to the box and if your channel is running it would receive the event and know to access the server letting it know it's running, if it doesn't then you know to send a command to the Roku to launch your channel. I don't know how this would be handled when a video is currently playing though, and probably falls apart at that point. I imagine the launch command will re-launch the channel if called when the channel is currently running, so that probably won't work, but you'd have to try it unless someone else already knows, if it doesn't re-launch then you could send a launch command every so often to all the boxes. I haven't done any messing around with the ECP stuff, but being able to query the currently running channel over that seems like it would be a useful feature, especially in your case.
*** Trevor Anderson - bloggingwordpress.com - moviemavericks.com ***
0 Kudos
bsanderson
Visitor

thanks ecp will not work. 99% of my Roku units will be in customers offices and behind cable modem NATS and or FireWalls. so not static ip or outside access.

I want to pre configure Roku unit to auto boot into my private channel video feed on power up. I see my drop shipping pre configured unit to customer and at most customer only need to plug hdmi into tv and Roku into network cable for DHCP access to my servers in my office off site in another State.

So I want to make this private Roku channel a plug and play idea for Roku box to my customers.
Bill Sanderson
inroomdeals.com
0 Kudos
bsanderson
Visitor

I may have to look at Roku sister product brightsign which can to this... But I want to use Roku boxes since they are small and better price point.
Bill Sanderson
inroomdeals.com
0 Kudos
bsanderson
Visitor

I hope Roku Product managers read this forum. I see 1000 roku units in my future if only I can get a private channel auto startup on the unit at power up. By pass all stock roku screens and start streaming my video private channel feed at power up. please please please add this to your development list.
Bill Sanderson
inroomdeals.com
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

RokuPatrick addressed this question in this post.

--Mark
0 Kudos
bsanderson
Visitor

Thanks..

it is a missed market for Roku to now look at network delivery via private channels video to business applications. I would suspect that doing this on Roku would eat into BrightSign profits. I wanted to stay with Roku and I have Brightsign server in the field already. But will now look at other vendor solutions for my business application delivery for video. With the price of tablets dropping and having HDMI outputs with free Android OS. I can look at rolling my own application and delivery system with almost a high end cellphone today, much more cost effective than Bright Sign boxes starting price points. 😞 do not say I tried to ask.....
Bill Sanderson
inroomdeals.com
0 Kudos