Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Re: Converting app with old components (roGridScreen,roPosterScreen, roSpringboardScreen etc) into Scene Graph applicati

dang sorry about that formatting stuff, posting to this forum is beyond my capabilities.
0 Kudos
mkdir1995
Visitor

Re: Converting app with old components (roGridScreen,roPosterScreen, roSpringboardScreen etc) into Scene Graph applicati

"destruk" wrote:
If your current app is convoluted, then now is a good time to rewrite and streamline it.  I printed out the code for all of the last channel upgrade I did and went through with a sharpie crossing out code that wasn't used.  It saved a lot of headache.  Basically, any UI screens need to be recreated - if you used roScreen/roImageCanvas then that's a lot of work - if you used the default posterscreen or gridscreen then it's easier.  Also the video component changed so that will need to be recreated, and the springboard screen needs to be recreated, and the linking/billing routines might need to be recreated.  Take it screen by screen, take your time, get one part working and test it, and then move on to the next display.

Not convoluted in a bad way, but there's just a lot going on, tons of functions and requests that can't be erased, but yeah... I definitely have to take it one screen at a time. There is aloooot thats going to be different. All of my screens are split into their own files and have their own createObject instances for the grid, poster, detail screen, video screen etc. And each of these files have functions used in them from OTHER .brs files. How does this get affected by the Scene Graph stuff? Did tons of research, can barely find anything.
I thought I could have multiple instances of roSGScreen, but it seems like one is enough and I have to do fancy things to incorporate the other screens. Several questions:

1) are there ANY good examples/documentation on how this works with an API/JSON!? I can't seem to find it anywhere...everything I find is mostly with an XML feed or hard-coded. @tim_beynart's explanation is about as close to any example I've got, and I still don't understand how it ties in with the response files and the visual screens.

2) I keep getting an error "BRIGHTSCRIPT: ERROR: No such node". Even when I erase all extra code and keep 2 simple files, I can't even get one SG Screen to work. Also can't find any info about this error on the forums or online 😞

This is no easy feat...
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

For JSON parsing, here's some code I threw on GitHub. It's not a complete application, don't have time right now for that, but hopefully this helps.
https://gist.github.com/timbeynart-nbcu ... 8c104f82af
0 Kudos
mkdir1995
Visitor

"tim_beynart" wrote:
For JSON parsing, here's some code I threw on GitHub. It's not a complete application, don't have time right now for that, but hopefully this helps.
https://gist.github.com/timbeynart-nbcu ... 8c104f82af

Thank you!!!
0 Kudos