Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spacehog
Streaming Star

Converting A Direct Publisher Channel into SDK

I'm looking for someone who has some experience converting a DP channel into an SDK one as my channel is no longer viewable on Roku as a direct publisher. Any and all help would be hugely appreciated. 

57 REPLIES 57
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Converting A Direct Publisher Channel into SDK

You may want to take a look at the free software tool I posted about in the Direct Publisher forum.  I am developing it to assist Direct Publisher channel developers in the process of converting over to a SceneGraph channel.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
Spacehog
Streaming Star

It doesn't seem to be compatible with Mac systems. In fact there is no one link to click to download the program at all. 

Baradanikto
Roku Guru

It runs on Windows.  I believe you can run a Windows program on a Mac in a virtual box. Additionally, you have to go to the Releases section of the site to download the tool. There's a link in the middle of the page for downloads.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
Spacehog
Streaming Star

Yea, still not working for me.

ferdiworks
Roku Guru

You dont have to run the software to work with this software tool as he gives the source code SDK file to test, just edit the code in The manifest file with an html editor. Then edit the images in the images folder and done!

If you go to his github page and click the code link and you click to download the zip file. unzip it and doesnt matter Mac or window as long as you have an editor like notepad or notepad++ you can edit the manifest file which is where your json feed link goes!

The images can be created in any image program on a macx or in Adobe photoshop or even paint or any Mac image editor!

Save changes zip ity up and sideload and test it!

Note that the software project is not complete  and THE SOFTWARE OR OUTPUT sdk PACKAGE IS NOT READY FOR ROKU CERTIFICATION!

iT IS ONLY AT THIS TIME READY FOR TESTING YOUR FEED AND DISPLAY ON YOUR ROKU DEVICE BY SIDE TEST!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Keep in mind, the whole concept behind the wizard code is that you don't have to code anything. Using editors to update feed files and other files is error prone.

Spacehog
Streaming Star

Everything you just said was in a different language as I don't know anything about any of that. I have zero HTML/coding experience whatsoever. Plus there is no specific unzip file to download directly, just a ton of file folders that all look the same. 

I'm starting at zero here with no idea where to start. 

ferdiworks
Roku Guru

when you get to the github page click the top menu code item then you will see a green code button click it to dropdown and select downloiad zip file. Once downloaded you can use a free tool like 7 zip to extract the zip file to have access to the files!

I plan on making a few videos on how to manually edit the files if you cannot run the software and run it!

to download the software on the code page scroll down to you see the word "Installation"

Then click the download button!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
Spacehog
Streaming Star

Can't be done, it's not compatible with a mac, which is what I use. I'd hire someone to do the dirty work for me but I'm yet to see an example of a successful DP to SDK conversion being done this way. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.