Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on DevID

In packaging a channel, a DevID is generated. Initially, I thought that this stood for Develoeper ID and all channels from a particular developer should be using the same DevID. In having several channels active on my Roku with the same DevID, it seems the the DevID is more of a channel identifier and should be unique for each channel. Am I correct in that assumption?

Also, what about channels that should be exclusive? Such us a channel that has an upgrade option to another channel? Should those use the same DevID?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Clarification on DevID

Any channels you need to share data via the registry should use the same DevID. Typically, I would think an upgrade would fall into that category.

Additionally, since the registry space is allocated based on DevID, anything stored in the registry will remain there until all channels with the same DevID are removed (or it's explicitly deleted). You're also limited to 16k across all channels using the same DevID.

So, related channels should use the same DevID. Unrelated channels should not.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well, that upgrades should use the same DevID.

The information about the registry is particularly helpful for figuring out when to use a new DevID.

"TheEndless" wrote:
Any channels you need to share data via the registry should use the same DevID. Typically, I would think an upgrade would fall into that category.

Additionally, since the registry space is allocated based on DevID, anything stored in the registry will remain there until all channels with the same DevID are removed (or it's explicitly deleted). You're also limited to 16k across all channels using the same DevID.

So, related channels should use the same DevID. Unrelated channels should not.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Screensavers must each use a different dev ID, you will have trouble if you publish more than one screensaver with the same ID, as only one will launch even if the other is selected. Perhaps if there was an in-channel upgrade for a screensaver, keeping the same devID between the "free" and the "pro" versions could work.

- Joel
0 Kudos