Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BizarreTV
Level 7

Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Screen

Hello ....I keep making posts...are any Roku Tech/Engineer people around??? Anyone reading this??? I really need an answer.

I have been posting everywhere possible and I need a actual Roku Technician /Engineer to look over this please.

A massive amount of viewers are telling me that they cannot get my channels or other channels to show up on their Roku devices after installing them! I also am having this issue for days now. I have tried Roku Support...but this is not their area...it seems it is Tech issue related. This seemed to happen after the last System Update. My viewers are at panic about the situation and I am also at my wicks end! I have been testing still to see if I can even add any new and old channels to my Roku...it just installs but does NOT appear on the home screen...not even after System Updating or System Restart! I had to do a Factory Reset! My viewers are having to do so as well...but they are very frustrated and thus ...so am I. I just do not know what to do. Not everyone wants to do a Factory Reset. It is like the Roku Updates have done something.
Maybe can some of you test this out on your end to see if you have problems adding channels please?

On a separate issue...I noticed also in Developer mode that I cannot change my channels Vanity Access Code...I have a post on here as well about this issue from the other day. Is anyone having this issue?

I have been a Channel Developer for a few years and NEVER once have I ever had this problem! I have private and Public channels! Eeeek!!!
I use Roku 3, Roku 4,and The New Streaming Stick! No SD Memory Cards. I have done a Factory Reset and still have to do one every time I want to install a new channel whether it is PUBLIC or PRIVATE...it does NOT seem to matter.

Please help...would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Rhonda :shock:
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

This is typically caused by a channel not including the legacy poster artwork references in the manifest, and the artwork they refer to.

Make sure you have these in your manifest file:

mm_icon_focus_hd=pkg:/images/icon_focus_hd.jpg
mm_icon_side_hd=pkg:/images/icon_side_hd.jpg
mm_icon_focus_sd=pkg:/images/icon_focus_sd.jpg
mm_icon_side_sd=pkg:/images/icon_side_sd.jpg


Make sure they are pointing to a real image - it can be a small blank image if you want, since nobody will see this artwork. Also make sure there is a blank line at the end of your manifest file. Package and update the channel and the issue should be resolved for most people within 24 hours, or sooner if they force check for updates.

edit: obviously a public channel update will take longer to go live

- Joel
0 Kudos
BizarreTV
Level 7

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

"RokuJoel" wrote:
This is typically caused by a channel not including the legacy poster artwork references in the manifest, and the artwork they refer to.

Make sure you have these in your manifest file:

mm_icon_focus_hd=pkg:/images/icon_focus_hd.jpg
mm_icon_side_hd=pkg:/images/icon_side_hd.jpg
mm_icon_focus_sd=pkg:/images/icon_focus_sd.jpg
mm_icon_side_sd=pkg:/images/icon_side_sd.jpg


Make sure they are pointing to a real image - it can be a small blank image if you want, since nobody will see this artwork. Also make sure there is a blank line at the end of your manifest file. Package and update the channel and the issue should be resolved for most people within 24 hours, or sooner if they force check for updates.

edit: obviously a public channel update will take longer to go live

- Joel

Hi Joel,
I will be sure to check that out as soon as possible...but I am pretty sure it is all correct. But it is a handful of channels that are also doing this. And...I cannot change my Channel Vanity Access Codes anymore >.< in the Developer Site.
Thanks for getting back to me. I am soo stressed. I just made a video about what is going on to link onto forums so you guys can see.

-Rhonda
0 Kudos
BizarreTV
Level 7

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

Hi Joel,

Well I did what you said about the Manifest files....It seems that everything is alright...So I am NOT sure what is going on...I still cannot add any channels...they install but NOT SHOW UP. MY channel as well..and my viewers reported to me they are all having the same issues...something is not right.

I am tired of Factory Resetting for each channel I decide I want to get. What is doing this??? :? Smiley Surprisedops:

I am using Roku 3,4 and the new streaming stick

Thanks,
Rhonda
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

Hi, please send your device serial numbers to RokuJoel and RokuKC via the forum private message,

Thanks

- Joel
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

"BizarreTV" wrote:
Hi Joel,

Well I did what you said about the Manifest files....It seems that everything is alright...So I am NOT sure what is going on...I still cannot add any channels...they install but NOT SHOW UP. MY channel as well..and my viewers reported to me they are all having the same issues...something is not right.

I am tired of Factory Resetting for each channel I decide I want to get. What is doing this??? :? Smiley Surprisedops:

I am using Roku 3,4 and the new streaming stick

Thanks,
Rhonda


BizarreTV, we've found some issues and are investigating how to address them. Thanks for your patience.
0 Kudos
BizarreTV
Level 7

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

"RokuKC" wrote:
"BizarreTV" wrote:
Hi Joel,

Well I did what you said about the Manifest files....It seems that everything is alright...So I am NOT sure what is going on...I still cannot add any channels...they install but NOT SHOW UP. MY channel as well..and my viewers reported to me they are all having the same issues...something is not right.

I am tired of Factory Resetting for each channel I decide I want to get. What is doing this??? :? Smiley Surprisedops:

I am using Roku 3,4 and the new streaming stick

Thanks,
Rhonda


BizarreTV, we've found some issues and are investigating how to address them. Thanks for your patience.


Thanks ...yes please look into it...I had to do another Factory Reset AGAIN to add channels to my Roku's...So this problem is still going on as well.
I removed a lot of channels to see if this was the issue...but it is not. And still my viewers and others are having the same issue.

-Rhonda
0 Kudos
BizarreTV
Level 7

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

I have already posted about this whole ordeal...but here it goes again...JUST IN CASE...AND INCLUDES A LINK TO A VIDEO EXPLAINING ...PLEASE WATCH!

Ok...I have posted in the Roku forums in the past several days this issue and contacted Roku Support...but they were no help!
It seems that this is happening to a lot of people...especially my viewers.

Ever since this new Software Update - Software Version:7.1.0 Build:4062 came out this has been happening:
When I or other try to install a channel on our Roku's ,the channel installs but does NOT show up on the Roku at all after
doing a System Update...it just says...System Update for a while and then nothing...it is like it times out or something.
Anyway...we are NOT getting the channels!

I have tried and others have tried to System Restart...Unplug the Roku and NOTHING STILL. What it comes down to
is we only get the channels if we do a FACTORY RESET! (Which I have done and several others had as well,several times!)

I have tested it on any channel...I have deleted channels and made room...STILL NOTHING!
I have had my network checked and firewall and deleted cookies and cache...reset my Gateway Modem and contacted my ISP and they said everything was fine...STILL NOTHING!

I have 4 Roku's (2 Roku 3's ,1 Roku 4 and the NEW streaming stick(which I Love!) and they ALL are doing it.
This has been happening for a lil over a week I think someone told me...but for me a week.

I have made a video trying to explain and show what I have been dealing with myself.

Can't Roku just sort it out with a NEW Roku update or something...this Software Version: 7.1.0 Build:4062 has done something to all 4 of my Roku's since it happened! Please help. I would so appreciate it...contact whomever is the Tech person please. It would be much appreciated.
https://youtu.be/hQHuKGxZqPI

PLEASE HELP!!!
Wicked Thanks,
Rhonda-
BizarreTV
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Level 7

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

Rhonda,
Kevin just posted yesterday that we are aware of this issue and are investigating how to address it. I'm not sure you understood his reply, since you are still asking us to "contact the tech person". The appropriate technical people are working on this.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

Re: Channels Installed on Roku But Not Showing Up on Home Sc

BizarreTV -
great work on posting that video! A picture is worth a thousand words indeed! I watched it carefully to confirm or reject a suspicion, even installed a frame-by-frame Chrome extension to better see what happens at the very end of "system update".

My suspicion was that player was running out of memory because of a particular issue (known for a year) where some misconfigured NDK apps (typically games) erroneously consume undue amount of storage. That however does not seem to be the case because:
  1. You don't have a lot of games installed and only a moderate number (80 or so) of channels

  2. At the end of the "system update" there was no frame popping up (for fraction of a second) of trying to install the new channels

I am guessing therefore what is happening is the web service which the player checks with is returning there is nothing to install. That would not be a firmware 7.1 issue but rather something on the back end, in the "web team" territory - a Roku department which in my experience is by a good magnitude more troubled and troublesome than the core firmware team. Those be the same people which broke the "vanity code" updates of your other topic.
0 Kudos