Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Channel Store "Sort By" is broken!? (Sawtooth syndrome)

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Also, the web store uses a different algorithm from the Device Channel Store [...] The web store, well... there is a new release of the Web Channel Store going out some time tomorrow, so let us know if it improves this situation or not. I'll also point the web team to this thread.

After some meditation, i think the problem has something to do with channels being loaded in batches of 24 (6 rows x 4)!

Initially there are 12 rows of channels (48) but as you scroll further, it adds 6 more and then 6 more, and then the last batch. And the breaks in "highest rated" sorting happen after every 6 rows. Pure coincidence? I think not - rather the sort is done correctly only inside each new batch...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for that new version for sure.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Channel Store "Sort By" is broken!? (Sawtooth syndrome)

"RokuJoel" wrote:
... there is a new release of the Web Channel Store going out some time tomorrow, so let us know if it improves this situation or not. I'll also point the web team to this thread.

Seems the new version (btw, channel store got new URL this time: http://channelstore.roku.com) has fixed something, because the next day my app jumped from near the end of the "Highest Rated" sort to its "rightful" place in the 1st quartile (around #23). And reviewing the whole list now, the "sawtooth" jump every 24 is not there.

However... there is something fishy with the default sort "Most Popular", https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/games/popularity

For example, comparing web store to a Roku 3 store, "Games" category:

• How come "Mazes", which is #5 on the player, is #105 (4th last) on the web? In what world the paid version "Mazes Plus" (#87 on the web), which gets ballpark 50x less downloads than the free "Mazes" is "more popular" than the free one? Because that's what the web list shows.

• How is it that "Red Card Rampage", "Tangrams" and "World Famous Places Puzzle" always stay at the end of the web list (positions 106, 107, 108)? Where in the player list they are at #34, 70, 69.

• How come FlipFlop is #10 on web, #65 on roku 3? That does not make sense - should be the opposite because FlipFlop is OpenGL game and would be expected to be higher on Roku 3 but lower in the totals.

• "2048 TV" and "2048 Challenge" are #52 and 53 on a Roku3 but #60 and #35 on the web. Which does not make sense, because 2048-Challenge is Marmalade and compatible with only some of the players. Confirmed by the fact that 2048-TV has 4x the number of ratings and therefore approximately 4x more installs. Both are paid at $1. How is it then that 2048-Challenge is #35 on the web?!
0 Kudos