Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Caveat: ss.AppendString(s, len(s)) no better than ss=ss+s ?

roString has the mutator AppendString(), which i assumed is there for performance reasons, to allow building a string much faster by repeatedly appending text at the end, through expanding the original buffer instead of creating new object through concatenation every time. Or at least so i know from other languages. But that does not seem to be the case:
BrightScript Debugger> ti = createObject("roTimespan")
BrightScript Debugger> s = string(1000, "x")
BrightScript Debugger> ss = "1"+"2": ti.mark(): for k=1 to 1000: ss=ss+s: end for: ? ti.totalMilliseconds()
BrightScript Debugger> ss = "1"+"2": ti.mark(): for k=1 to 1000: ss.appendString(s, len(s)): end for: ? ti.totalMilliseconds()

So if anything, appendString() is marginally slower (i suspect because of price of method lookup and two function calls). My take out will be not to use it then. Any insight what's the purpose of the method if not speed?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Bonus: bugs in AppendString()

I also ran into 2-3 bugs in AppendString implementation on fw3:
BrightScript Debugger> s = "1" + "2"
BrightScript Debugger> s.appendString("3", 999999999): ? s 'should be 123
BrightScript Debugger> s.appendString(s, len(s)): ? s 'should be 1212
And there was something else while i played with boxing the value after seeing it wouldn't append self to itself... something darker that ended up adding random characters and ultimately led to YAWRR crash. But i cannot reproduce it now so will leave it at "hearsay" level
0 Kudos